Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt and a Brisket?

Wreckt01
Wreckt01 Posts: 28
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I get to feed about 30 people next week and want to cook a 8-10lb butt for pulled pork and a 8-10 lb brisket. I have a lg bge with a plate setter and two grates with a swivel bracket. I know i can get both of them to fit (not sure they will fit side by side but they will fit one on each grate), but i'm worried about the cook time on each and the vertical elevation difference as it relates to the temps.  I've never tried smoking two at once, let alone two different meats. Has anyone tried this and/or have any advice? Thanks in advance

Wreckt01
Backyard Jedi

Comments

• Just did two 9 lb butts and a 14lb brisket at the same time  (excellent !!)   Put butts on top of brisket on second grate.  It took me 18 1/2 hours at 210 degrees  ( temp was at brisket level -- don't know what the  temp was higher up.   A ong cook  but well worth it.  My third time doing this cook.
  • Just to make sure i got it right, you put the brisket on the lower rack and the pork side by sid eon the upper rack and let it rip?  If so, I'm thinking about maybe a 14lb brisket and maybe 10-12 lb pork in the same set up.

Thanks for the response
  • that will do the job just fine.  Don't forget to put something (pan) under it all to catch the drippings....  there will be a lot of them.  the pork will drip onto the brisket and keep it moist.   Cook to about 190 degrees and it will turn out excellent.  Remember that this is an indirect cook   ( use plate sitter )   I also wrap my meat and place it in a cooler for about 2 hours.      ( wrap meat in foil and then towels )     Have fun    Have faith enjoy the cook.
  • Thanks for the input, will post results after the cook
  • ok the cook is going tonight (party got delayed) purchasing a 12lb brisket and 10 lb shoulder.
    Plan on setting it around 225 and letting it roll. Any guesses as to how long this may take? I'm assuming 12-14 hrs. That sound about right?
  • ok the cook is going tonight (party got delayed) purchasing a 12lb brisket and 10 lb shoulder.
    Plan on setting it around 225 and letting it roll. Any guesses as to how long this may take? I'm assuming 12-14 hrs. That sound about right?
    If your talking about 225 "dome temp", I'd go a little higher, like 250.  It will take forever at 225 dome temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• yeah 225 at the grate...will be close to 250 at the dome.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    yeah 225 at the grate...will be close to 250 at the dome.
    good deal...let us know how it goes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd actually go 275 dome, that'll give you about 250 grate level.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ended up at 250 dome temp for 14.5 hours on a 10.5lb shoulder over a 12.5lb brisket. everything turned out great. I had never tried using my two tier rig with the plate setter and found out it it was too tall at 2:00 in the morning.  Ended up cutting a brick into three pieces and wrapping in foil to build a riser.  Actually worked great. 

Thanks for the help!
  • I use the brick riser method also