Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blade Roast/Chuck Roast/ thoughts pls

Cookinupnorth
Cookinupnorth Posts: 95
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Went tot the farm the other day and the guy gave me 3 "blade" roasts ..said to braise low and slow...so I thought maybe I could Green Egg it like a pork butt...has anyone done this....like "pulled beef"

Any thoughts would be appreciated..thnx guys!

Comments

• Blade is canuckian for chuck

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I did one and cooked it like a brisket. Was great.
  • Thnx LS...I am Canadian...any hints on cookin it lol
  • Do the pulled beef. Cross rib is also part of the chuck. You can grill hot and braise in a Dutch Oven as well. Lot of flavour eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rodent
    Basically, it is a pot roast. Little steven had a good Idea. Sear it on the grill and drop it in a DO with a little beef broth, carrots, onions, celery. Lower your egg to 300 and let it go for a couple of hours.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Nothing finer than "chuck".  Cook it EXACTLY like you would a pork butt except take them a little higher to about 200 internal.  They shred just like pork butt.  Outstanding.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• COS that's what I was Lookin for- will post some pix- would you like to share rub or mop secrets lol?
  • COS that's what I was Lookin for- will post some pix- would you like to share rub or mop secrets lol?
    This is my go to rub (all 4 blends are good):

I never mop.  In all my readings, I've never been convinced that mopping helps anything.  I prefer to keep the lid closed, to retain heat, and get the meat done sooner.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  As long as you use chuck and take it to the right temp, it will pull just like pork.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Blade is canuckian for chuck

We use both terms here ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Out here in California when I was cutting meat professionally, back in the late 60's, we called a bone in chuck roast with the long bone a blade chuck roast. As the bone gets smaller towards the rib end it was called a 7 bone chuck roast, because the bone looks like the numeral 7.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Today if you were to bone out the entire 7 bone section of the chuck, the bottom part on the long side of the 7 would be cut into boneless chuck roasts. The two pieces on either side on the small part of the 7 are called flat irons and are cut into steaks. If you you cut the 7 bone section into roasts first and then bone out, the boneless chuck roasts contain all three parts.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Today if you were to bone out the entire 7 bone section of the chuck, the bottom part on the long side of the 7 would be cut into boneless chuck roasts. The two pieces on either side on the small part of the 7 are called flat irons and are cut into steaks. If you you cut the 7 bone section into roasts first and then bone out, the boneless chuck roasts contain all three parts.
    I love getting info like this. I've cut up fowl and rabbits, but bigger stuff is pretty much a mystery. Knowing where and why a piece was cut (assuming the labeling is right) really helps choose a cooking method.
  • gdenby,

This is a great website with lots of info. The beef education series explains a lot

http://how2heroes.com/videos/techniques/beef-education-series-breaking-down-beef

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ok so chuck roast was a bit of a bust... Choke on smoke what did I do wrong?
    So dd it at 250 for 7 hours... After 6 hours temp was 170 and thermometer cackled out.. So I pulled it off an hour later... It was dry ish and kind of like a brisket... So um like if thermometer had not broken and I had left it on til 200 would it have been pull able ? It seemed like there was no fat in the meat..any thoughts?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Absolute must to take it to 200 internal meat temp.  It can stall in the 170 range for hours, so no telling if it was done, but I doubt it in just an hour past 170.  The chuck roast is one of the more fatty beef cuts which is why it can be pulled like pork butt.  Don't give up.  These things are well worth it if you can get them cooked correctly.
    Did your look something like this?  Butchers/grocery stores/ect. all have different names for them.
    I've seen Chuck, Chuck roast, Chuck Roll...   When in doubt, ask the meat dept guy for the beef equivalent of the pork shoulder.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Cheers I think it was a chuck roll...very lean...but will try again for sure... What sauce did you use on yours?
  • What sauce did you use on yours?
    After I pull it, I wrap it in foil (and add some liquid) for an hour or more.  Whatever liquid is left in the foil when I finally pull the meat is the sauce I use.  I'm not real big on altering the flavor of the meat (I don't sauce pulled pork either).
    The liquid could be just about anything.  A 1/4 can of coke (from my Rum and Cokes the night before),
    a mix of worchester/ketchup/vinegar, or whatever you have in the kitchen/fridge.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2011
    '< 

> 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billyray

Choke;

Do you use any smoking woods when you do your chuck roasts?

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011

Choke;

Do you use any smoking woods when you do your chuck roasts?

I always throw in a chunk, maybe two.  I like whatever I can get in the fruit woods (peach, cherry, apple, grape).
    They seem mellower and less overpowering.  Over the years I've come to like a little less smoke with my meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rodent
    I shun Canadian meat, too lean. I'm lucky, I live in Niagara Falls so I cross to Sam's club on the US side and buy there. They have big packages of pork shoulder and beef chuck. The beef chuck are nice large pieces for smoking.
  • Squeezy
    It's important to remember that Canadian beef is not as well marbled as US too.  

Where & when did I say that ????
  • Operator error.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy

Perhaps you could edit that post to reflect that Little Steven?

• Where & when did I say that ????
    This site is definitely still flaky.  That weird stuff happens all the time when you try and quote someone, who's already quoted someone else.  Or, when you post multiple pictures.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    edited December 2011
    That would be a no then?
  • I don't know how it happened

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    I don't either, can you not edit that out?
  • No, I tried cutting all the quote stuff out and it reappeared when I posted it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That is the best I can do unless somebody has an idea.

Steve 

Caledon, ON