Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tri Tip.

Options
ribnrun
ribnrun Posts: 174
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
So I'm fittin to smoke a tri tip roast. 3lbs, trimmed. Thinking plate setter legs up, mesquite smoke, 275 dome temp. Gonna use a spicy southwest/ Santa Maria style rub. Anyone have input? Will take some photos a

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I hot tub my tri tips and then cook direct searing the first couple minutes on the spider then raising to the felt line to 125 internal. Usually takes 6-8 minutes per side. I got a 3.5 pounder yesterday with the fat cap still on so I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna cook it yet. Butcher said he cooks them fat cap up the whole time but I'll probably stick to my old ways. I agree with the red oak though don't use mesquite it's really strong.
  • ribnrun
    Options
    The mesquite was pretty strong, but it went so well with a spicy southwest rub. Took about 1 hr 45 minutes at 300 dome till medium in the thinnest part of the roast. Only smoked for about 30 minutes with 4 chunks of mesquite. It actually came out quite tender and was more juicy than previous ones cooked direct. This method took about an hour longer than my direct cooks, but the results were better.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It depends on the size I guess. I went to a farmers market yesterday and the guy had a 4.5 pound tri tip. I have never cooked a tri tip at low temps does it come out good?
  • ribnrun
    Options
    Thermometer is +/- 2 degrees. This was indirect with the plate setter. After the roast sat for 15 on the counter it was medium/medium rare in the thickest section. Everyone really enjoyed the meat. 4 people and there was none leftover, and we coulda eaten more, thank goodness for side dishes. I will probably try it again with the indirect and the smoke, but it takes a much larger slice of my time. The extra hour means at least 2 more beers, so it does have that going for it.