Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning off a gasket

rodent
rodent Posts: 106
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried burning off an old gasket with a propane torch? Seems to me a torch and a scraper should get it off. Itook my first gasket off with a scraper, palm sander and nail polish remover - took forever. Any thoughts on the torch since I need a new one.

Thanks

Comments

• Fire, fire, fire... How could it be bad right LOL

If i recall correctly the BGE will withstand temps to 1800 degrees some say in excess of 2000, my torch burns at 3500+. My answer is I dont know but if you go for it proceed with caution.
  • rodent
    Thanks up smoke. If I send you a propane cylinder for your efforts, perhaps you could proceed carefully on yours and send me your results. Lol
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    I recommend using one of these.  I don't like the idea of having any nasty chemicals soaking into the ceramic.  They look a little harsh, but they are made of plastic (or something similar) and don't do any damage to the rim.  Just attach to your favorite power drill. Many egg'ers have used them with success. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• rodent
    Thanks chokeonsmoke. I,ll go look in home depot. Probably postpone for a while since we got 3" of snow today.

Yuck!!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Thanks chokeonsmoke. I,ll go look in home depot.
    I first took a paint scraper to it and got off the big stuff.  It didn't take much as mine was mostly falling off.
    Then went at it with the drill/paint stripper. It took a little while, but comes out nice and clean if you work at it a little bit.
    Probably postpone for a while since we got 3" of snow today. Yuck!!!
    Nasty.  We don't have any snow yet but suppose to be 7 degree above zero tonight here in Wisconsin. I have to cook 20 pounds of pork shoulder tonight for a party coming up. The Irish whiskey should come in handy for sure.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Come on down to Madison. There's plenty of hot air down here!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • New to BGE but my gasket is barely turning loose at 12:00 position. Can I glue and what kind of glue?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    3m super 77 glue. Get one of the small foam paint brushes and spray the glue into a solo cup or disposable container and then brush it on. You can get it at home depot. If your egg is new call BGE and they will
    Send you a new high heat gasket.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I used a mapp touch the first time I replaced a gasket and it worked
    great. I was careful to only leave in in one spot long enough to burn
    off the old gasket then used a scraper to clean it up.  It was way faster then using the paint stripper
    thing.