Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskett w/ Best Rub!!!

Mugato17
Mugato17 Posts: 26
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Putting a 7lb on tonight in about 8:30pm Eastern time. Grill is started now. I'm going to cook a 7lb cut at 210, until internal food temp hits 187. I figure I'll check it again around 8am. Then to wrap and wait. I do this a lot, and love it! I swear by the rub from www.texasbbqrub.com
I just happen to stumble across them and never looked back. It's the "brisket" rub of course.:) I'll include my pics.
I leave a nice layer of fat on the bottom, for little heat pro...but all the fat I trim, I lay back on top of brisket so it cooks the juices back down through.

Comments

• I just got done eating some "food saver" brisket I made last month.  Excellent.
    I cook 'em between 225-250 grid temp and take them to at least 195-200.

You don't get a tough one here and there finishing at 187?

By the way, I use texasbbqrub almost exclusively, love that stuff.

Happy cookin' !!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I end up reaching a little over 193 after wrapping. I wrap in foil, a dry towel, then I put in a dry cooler for about 2 hours. I'm always worried about pulling it off hotter than 190. Because I'm so accustom to wrapping. Do you wrap? I may bump up the digi q to 195 and try it.
  • It's not tough at 187. Always looking for a better way! Thx for the input
  • I don't doubt you make a great brisket, mine just never seem to be "done" before 195.  I don't foil during the cook but foil for the rest after I pull it.  I do the same thing, wrap in foil with some liquid, wrap in towels and put it in the cooler for 1-2 hours or so (depending on how long I can't stand it before I have to slice and try it out!)

Everyone does it a little bit different, all preference and what works for you.

Let us know how it turns out and the details of the cook!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Love that rub also.
  • Are you referring to the TX BBQ Rub or Old #2 Brisket Blend? They sell both on their website. I've always used Elder Wards brisket rub but I'm always up for trying new things
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • The Old @2 Brisket  

Are you referring to the TX BBQ Rub or Old #2 Brisket Blend? They sell both on their website. I've always used Elder Wards brisket rub but I'm always up for trying new things

• I don't doubt you make a great brisket, mine just never seem to be "done" before 195.  I don't foil during the cook but foil for the rest after I pull it.  I do the same thing, wrap in foil with some liquid, wrap in towels and put it in the cooler for 1-2 hours or so (depending on how long I can't stand it before I have to slice and try it out!)

Everyone does it a little bit different, all preference and what works for you.

Let us know how it turns out and the details of the cook!

It's 8am eastern time...I just checked the egg...I took your advice and bumped it up to 195...it's almost been 11 hours and sitting at 184 internal temp...  I don't wrap in the egg either... My only worry is wrapping it when I take it off...the temp doesn't spike on you?  I'm going to try it.  I'll include pics.  Thanks again for the advice! 

Below is the Brisket with worchestire sauce and rub, 24 hours of marinating....before going on the egg..

• It's 8am eastern time...I just checked the egg...I took your advice and bumped it up to 195...it's almost been 11 hours and sitting at 184 internal temp...  I don't wrap in the egg either... My only worry is wrapping it when I take it off...the temp doesn't spike on you?  I'm going to try it.  I'll include pics.  Thanks again for the advice! 

Below is the Brisket with worchestire sauce and rub, 24 hours of marinating....before going on the egg..

To be honest with you, I don't know if it spikes or not.  When I pull it, I set it in the foil but wait to seal it for maybe 5 minutes before I close it up and put in the cooler.  Next time I'm going to keep measuring the temp in the cooler to see exactly what it's doing.  If you measure the temp afterward, let me know.  Thanks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Will do! Thx again
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Each brisket I've cooked has been very different.  It also seems to matter if I cook a flat or a packer cut.  I prefer the packer cut and usually get one that weighs between 12 and 18 pounds.  I don't go by temperature, but remove it when the fork test shows it is tender.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Okay,

Took Brisket off at 195...It looked a little over done when I opened the egg...stuck the fork in and felt perfect...took the fat off and wrapped it in foil and a towel....

7lb - 13 hours to reach 195

been in dry cooler for 1 hour so far....

waiting to cut...

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Lookin' good!  Looks like a meteorite, just like it should!
    Can't wait to hear how it turns out once you try it.
    Mine usually take about 10 hours for a 7 lb.'er. @ 225-250 to reach 195.
    Be interesting if your lower cooking temp (210) helps it, hurts it or doesn't make a difference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Each brisket I've cooked has been very different.  It also seems to matter if I cook a flat or a packer cut.  I prefer the packer cut and usually get one that weighs between 12 and 18 pounds.  I don't go by temperature, but remove it when the fork test shows it is tender.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Thanks for the info!
  • Okay,

So I took it out and tested the temp after wrapping for 2 hours...no spike in Temp....

Cut it up and it was delicious! 

So here is what I noticed was the diff. between taking off at 185 or so compared to 195...

185 - a little bit more juicer..yet, can't fork it apart after slicing

195- just a hint of dry, nothing to complain about at all...because after I sliced...it just falls apart...I forked it all apart after slicing...AMAZING...

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Wow, that looks amazing. I would like to attempt a brisket, I just don't know if I have the patience for such a long cook. Leaving it overnight, do you check temp? Never tried to run my egg for that long without babysitting it.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Overnight cooks are best done with a remote thermometer like a Maverick ET732.  I put the receiver for mine next to my bed and check it during the night. I don't have to go outside unless there is a problem.  You can set alarms to wake you if you want, but I don't bother with that.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA