Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best size BGE?

Gibsenca
Gibsenca Posts: 2
edited December 2011 in Root
I am going to buy a Big Green Egg but not sure which size is the best between the large and extra large.  We are a family of six and the large Egg seems like it would be adequate most of the time.  We do entertain fairly often and so the extra cooking surface on the extra large size would be nice.  Is the large BGE more efficient than the extra large egg in terms of heat and fuel use for day to day use.  A typical BBQ for us would be 1-2 tri tip, 8-10 "big" burgers or maybe 6 steaks. 

All things being equal I would opt for the XL size to have the extra space when I need it, but not if it means using more charcoal and waiting a lot longer to heat and be ready to cook on the more common family dinners.  Any feed back before my purchase is appreciated.

Comments

• The XL does not use a significant amount more fuel. Before the re-design on the XL most people would reccomend the large. If I was buying an egg now I would probably get the XL. (I have an XL but it is the old style)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    The large can do 9 racks of baby back ribs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I have an XL and I absolutly could not cook what I want on a LG.

One instance that stands out. 4 racks of ribs, 6 potatoes, 6 ears of corn. I was pretty maxed out and thankful for the extra space of the XL.

I could have done a second level of cooking surface on a large but, its just nice to have the 24" cooking surface.

Other than price, I dont see any advantage to having a large. Its still too heavy to be moved very easy, negligable difference in lump usage, and same for fire set up and cook time.

All that being said, you can probly overcome all of that with the right aftermarket stuff for the large.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    slabs.  SLABS of ribs.  a rack is the smaller portion you cut from a whole slab.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • slabs.  SLABS of ribs.  a rack is the smaller portion you cut from a whole slab.
    I stand corrected. You guys are going to force me to go to culinary school so I can keep up. I suppose that if wer are going to talk about ribs, it's important to get it right. :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokinsooner
    smokinsooner Posts: 161
    edited December 2011
    XL...all day. We're a family of 2.5! However, since I bought the BGE in June, we've entertained every weekend save 3.
    When cooking for just a small group use a small lumpwood "funnel" to reduce the amount of fuel to what you need...or just kill the fire when the food comes off, rake the ashes through and reuse the leftovers! As far time to temp, I can't imagine there' s much difference.
    Everyone I know says..."I should have gotten the XL".
    Trust me....you'll use the space!
    BOOMER!
  • I have a large and love it.  Just 2 of us but a little small when entertaining, Would probably recommend XL.
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    There's just 2 of us and I have a XL. It is so efficient that I seem to reuse the lump forever. Great for lots of ribs, large turkeys, etc. I have a lump reducer and spider so I have lots of flexibility.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    edited December 2011

I love the XL, less planning required due to the larger surface... For smaller cook and special cook, I use the lump reducing ring which give me direct heat and indirect for the veggie. Again, I love the XL and for your family of six plus entertainment, it would be a very easy decision for me XL without looking back.  Good Luck!

Marc
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    We have a family of 3.  I have a large Grill Dome, but I just got an XL BGE.  The large is fine when doing slow and lows for a family of 6 or more.  I've had 25# of pork on the GD at one time.  If you throw on 8-10 burgers or 6 decent sized steaks, it does not have enough room for the same family unless you plan on eating in shifts.  Get the XL and you won't regret it.
  • Just bought the XL for 3 and love it. I could not imagine having something smaller, then again i cook everything on it. I use the half moon stone to cook veggies indirect while cooking a steak direct  on the other side , even have the half moon riser for other stuff... Yes they say a bag will last up to 3 months under normal use well it lasted about a week, BUT I use it at least once a day and a very long smoke (until the addiction wears off). 
    That said I have a friend (family of 4 w/ 2 teens) and a large works just fine although he now has egg envy and probably going to get a bigger one..
  • Thank you to everyone that shared your thoughts.  It was very helpful in making my decision.  I went with the XL and picked it up yesterday. I couldn't wait to set it up and it is all set for the first cook tonight.