Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef stew

Options
ricktanner
ricktanner Posts: 24
edited December 2011 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
im wanting to make beef stew (in a dutch oven) on my bge,could someone tell me how to do it the proper way?

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I did a variation of this one a few times with great results:

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • mitch
    mitch Posts: 25
    Options
    Yum.  Love stew.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I like to dredge the beef in a mixture of flour, garlic powder and onion powder, Brown the beef in oil remove abd drain. Put a ton of sliced onion and cook it down til transparent. Add fresh garlic and then return beef and add beef stock. From there, decide what other ingredients you want and add. The flour from the dredge will create a roux and it should be enough to thicken the stew. Add some herbs near the end and some heavy cream. My favourite is the aforementioned with the addition of sauteed cremini mushrooms.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tarheelforever
    Options
    Little Steven I would love to eat at your house.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I forgot to say use wine to deglaze the pan. Yer welcome anytime

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Do you use the lid on the Dutch oven or just leave it open?  Just charcoal or do you add any chips/chunks of wood?  I really want to try this:) 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Do you use the lid on the Dutch oven or just leave it open?  Just charcoal or do you add any chips/chunks of wood?  I really want to try this:) 

Don't know who you were asking but I normally take the lid off the DO for part of the cook anyway to make sure some smokey flavour gets in there. The egg is pretty well sealed anyway and you won't reduce at the same rate as you would on a burner.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks Little Steven for the info.  I've been dying to try a stew on my egg.  Got all the info I need now just gotta do it.  Thank you.  I've also been wondering about a sea food gumbo of sorts the same way.  Hmmmm, the mind is wondering:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario