Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket holes to build table

cheid1977
cheid1977 Posts: 20
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am building a table and would like to use pocket holes to hide the screws.  The pocket hole screws do not look strong enough to hold the weight of the egg. Has anyone had any success using the Kreg jig and screws to build a table for a large egg? Are these screws strong enough to hold the weigh of the egg?

Comments

• Just for fun, do you have a link that shows how they work etc.?
    The Naked Whiz
  • I am currently building a table using my Kreg Jig.  To answer your question, I strongly believe it will be strong enough.  I always use glue in addition to the Kreg joining system for added strength.  
    I just got done building a deck and also used the Kreg system to attach my railing system.  Honestly I am not sure you can find a stronger way to attach 2 pieces of wood.
    Regarding my table, I did not use the Kreg system for the framing.   My table is going to be partially enclosed so I just used decking screws because it is faster and I had more decking screws than Kreg screws.  I am using the Kreg for finish purposes, Kreg screws where I don't want screws seen.  
    I will probably wrap up the table this weekend, I will post pictures.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I would use the "Kreg" idea, but go upscale:  Use a spade bit to drill the flat-bottomed, countersunk hole (at least 3/4", 1" preferable) and then a 1/4" bit to finish the hole, then use a lag screw with a 3/4" or 1" washer to cinch everything together.  
    I built a bunk bed this way in college, it held for three years and withstood a bit of flexing... ;;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure