Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deboned or Spatchcock?

Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Any thoughts on completely deboning the chicken vs spatchcock?

Thanks

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Very different cooks. I have deboned a chicken then stuffed the cavity rolled and tie and roasted on the BGE. Very, very tasty! I also love to spatchcock chickens, turkeys, small wildabeasts... great crispy skin, moist, and great for slicing.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocking the turkey is very easy and a good chance you will not cut your thumb off deboneing the bird.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2011
    Deboning a whole chicken is something I want to try myself.  I find spatchcocking is one the easiest ways to cook poultry....underrated IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Have at it, and please tell us how much fun it was .... looks like a lot of work to me ... :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Deboning a bird is alot of work but it is the greatest feeling cutting into the bird and it being bone free. My family wants me to Debone the turkey for thanksgiving and stuff it, tie it, and inject with creole butter. It is the best. DEBONE IT!
  • I deboned my first chicken using the Pepin video as a guide and it went pretty well.  It isn't really all that hard if you have a laptop handy and can go through the video as you work the bird.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wow, that was fabulous.  I deboned one several years ago following all the bones with the knife just trying to use logic.  It was about a 75% success but took a long time.  Not anything like the one on the video. Should look great on the carving board.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Yes, He does make-it look easy! Something to try!
    Marc
  • Tweeve, your1st was not pretty but I bet it tasted good.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Tweev, one thing for sure is you are not a surgeon. It does look a lot better than what I could do! What did you stuff it with?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    If I were single parenting my kids would not have gotten deboned and stuffed chicken. I would have opened a can of spaghetti'os.
  • Squeezy
    edited November 2011

@ Tweev_tip  Thanks for the best laugh of my day ... I don't know if I would have a) taken a picture or b) have the humility to share ...

But ... I thank you!

... and I still can't get the grin off my face .... 

=))
  • GrannyX4
    "It's not something I do very often but a girls gotta stay handy in the kitchen.  " Why?

I think it would be perfect long before the 5th one.
  • GrannyX4
    edited November 2011
    No, no. I meant that you would have deboning perfected before number 5 not me. I try not to play with knives.

And you won't find a Galantine from me either. However, I have been looking for a good pate recipe.
  • What I would like to know is anyone's thoughts on cooking a deboned chicken in a similar fashion as a spatchcock chicken. Debone the chicken and cook flat on the BGE.
  • GrannyX4
    Sure you can.
  • What I would like to know is anyone's thoughts on cooking a deboned chicken in a similar fashion as a spatchcock chicken. Debone the chicken and cook flat on the BGE.
    If you are going to all the trouble of deboning, why would you cook it like parts?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Just didn't get it. You've done it. It's not a five minute job.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Maybe for Jaques Perrault..no wait I  mean Pepin

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tomorrow I will try deboning a chicken following the Pepin video. I think I can do it. Will stuff with spinach, sliced Portabello and Brie. report to follow.
  • Squeezy
    Tomorrow I will try deboning a chicken following the Pepin video. I think I can do it. Will stuff with spinach, sliced Portabello and Brie. report to follow.

We want lots of pix of your progress ... and of course your thoughts on it.

Stuffing sounds good ... although I think I'd like it with Feta cheese ....

Good luck!

• I did it exactly like the Pepin video. I started and stopped the video on my iPad and it is really pretty easy. Pepin's 5 minute video took me about a half hour but my deboned chicken looked just like on the video. The only thing I flunked was the lolipop. I took photos but won't post them until after I cook it tonight.
  • I set up with Pepin on iPad.  Spinach and Portabello stoffing sliced and ready.

Deboning went smoothly, easy really as long as I followed video.

Hope the photos post, my 1st time to add photos. After the deboning and stuffing, I had it tied and trussed beautifully...and remembered that I stuffed the spinach and Portabello but forgot to add the brie, so I took it apart and stuffed and tied again.  2nd tie/truss not as pretty as 1st.  Also, should have taken photo of it after slicing; looked like a work of art...tasted fabulous.  Cooked direct on a V rack at 325, took about an hour. Very easy, will definitely do this again.

Hope the photos work.

• Squeezy

Awesome first effort ... congrats!

Did you remove the leg bones?

• In 2nd photo it was totally deboned legs and all. It is easier than you might think.
  • Squeezy
    edited November 2011

Now I have to try it ... at least once!  .... sigh! .....

.... almost forgot to ask ... was the stuffing profile what you wanted or would you do or use something different?

• Stuffed with spinach, sliced portabello and Brie. It was delicious but the Brie nearly disappeared, melting like butter. The Brie added flavour but not the creaminess I was looking for. Next time I'll use something similar but with more creamy consistency. Suggestions?
    I will definitely debone again, quick and easy.
  • Squeezy

I had thought that the brie would be a bit too soft for stuffing. Perhaps a combination of cheeses. My first thought when I read your post, was Feta cheese, works very well with spinach. Provolone might prove nice too. Havarti or Swiss maybe. I don't think cheddars would work well with chicken, unless just a mild or medium aged.

Lots of choices for sure.

• Could you re-post the link for that video?
  • Go to page 1 of this link.  This is page 2.