Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Directly on Grate?

Options
Blake Johnson
Blake Johnson Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Forum List
So I can't fit the drip pan I got for my turkey. Is it ok if I just put the egg directly on the grate with a drip pan to catch the drippings? Doing a 15 lb turkey for 2-3 hours at 325-350. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    I have posted exactly the same question Blake so hoping someone replies!

Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • mr_smith
    Options
    Only probably with putting it directly on the grate instead of in a v-rack is that it will be more difficult to lift out when it's done.  FYI - by the time your turkey is cooked for 3 hours, there probably wont be much in the way of drippings that are useable for making gravy.  You should use the extra parts that are packed inside the turkey cavity to make your gravy starter drippings on a stovetop skillet.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I will be cooking my turkey directly on the grate with a platesetter below and drip pan. I plan on spatchcocking the bird, sitting in a brine right now. With the drip pan raised off the platesetter I should be able to have drippings to use in my gravy. I love this holiday as I get to cook the way I want.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I'm surprised you don't have a pan that will fit ... at any rate, I would have PS legs up with a foil pan full of water .... grate above that and the turkey in another foil pan with a cooling rack between the bird & the foil pan. Foil pans can be bent to fit just about anywhere. Make sure the lower pan doesn't go dry.

Hope that helps.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ronfrost
    Options
    I did 2 15lb birds on my XL directly on the grate with foil pans directly below sitting on the plate setter (legs down).  Both birds and the gravy made from the drippings were a big hit with everyone.