Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread machine

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November 2011 in Off Topic
i am thinking of buying a bread machine

recommendations or suggestions - - thanks for your help

mr toad -
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• miketop
    Options
    U already have the best bread machine, it's called the green egg
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    you are correct - but - i am looking for help in kneading dough - in addition not all breads lend themselves to a smoky bake - i will use the egg for baking - looking to do an old world style baking

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think when you bake bread the fire is so hot there really is no smoke to flavour the bread.

Gerhard

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I've made dozens of batches of cookies and a handful of batches of pretzels - absolutely no smoke flavor at all.  You simply need to let the smoke turn completely "clear" and you won't get a smoky flavor.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    you are correct - but - i am looking for help in kneading dough - in addition not all breads lend themselves to a smoky bake - i will use the egg for baking - looking to do an old world style baking

mr toad
    As Tweev_tip said, you can always use a good heavy duty mixer to knead bread.  I have had a number of breads baked in bread makers and I would rate most of them as very mediocre.  I have also made many different variations of the 'NY Times No Knead Bread' with excellent results.  They are very simple to make and take almost no kneading.  They have a very good crust and taste delicious.  I have baked them  in a regular over or on  the BGE with equally good results.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I use a Kitchen Aid mixer and it does a fine job of mixing the dough and the egg makes a decent oven.  I usually don't bake bread in the summer because of the amount of heat it puts in the house but next summer we will be baking on the egg.  Here is a photo of some sourdough cheese bread I baked on the egg.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have a bread machine and I never bake bread in it. I used it for mixing and kneading bread, but I got a kitchen aid mixer and now that is all I use. This is the time of the year for deals on either one you choose.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Another for the Kitchen Aid. 

Baked this Italian dipping bread last weekend.  It's basically soaked in EVOO with Italian herbs.  Pretty awesome stuff.

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    That no knead bread is awesome! I screwed around getting a sour dough to work and it worked once and then I lost interest.  I really need to get back to that.
    I've made sour dough, rye,whole wheat,cheese,oat,and semolina all using the no-knead bread recipe with some small changes.  The sour dough is my favorite. It takes about 15 minutes to mix up the bread and clean up afterwards.  I bake it the next day.

I used to bake it in a dutch oven, but experimented a little and found that any covered baking pot will work as well.  I now use a large 'blue enameled' turkey roaster. This is nice because it will hold several loaf pans.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • wera274
    Options
    I am not familiar with the no-knead bread recipe, but it sounds awesome! Even though I am an avid baker, I have not mastered bread yet, even with the help of a Kitchenaid mixer. Will someone please post a recipe/link for this?
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Here is one of the No Knead recipes I use.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.