Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to water/smoke a 24 lb. Thanksgiving turkey.

Options
amf124
amf124 Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in Root
I want detailed instructions on how this can be done - including temp, hours of cooking per lb.,how to replinish charcoal,chips and water.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you won't need to replenish charcoal, or soak chips for starters. not sure what 'water' refers to...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    @Tweev: beat me to that, phone rang. Well put 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • paulheels
    Options
    Haha whod'a thunk it? I figured Tweev would require a little more couth!
    I do mine 320-350. Around 1.5 +/- total time. Fill lump up and you won't have to replenish. No chips use unsoaked chunks. NO WATER

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I want detailed instructions on how this can be done - including temp, hours of cooking per lb.,how to replinish charcoal,chips and water.
    Welcome to the forum
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    Welcome to the forum
    B-)
    LOL. Welcome =))
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

You do know the answer to the ? "Want in one hand and $hit in the other and see which one fills up first?" All will work out!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pokey
    pokey Posts: 59
    Options

You won't need to replenish your lump, if it is full and you have the damper set correctly you will be able to do a boston butt over a 12-14 hr period.  They are right about the chunks also, chips have a tendency to burn up quickly.  I asked a similar question, seems like 350-400 degrees, not alot of smoke, use a meat thermometor if you have one to check the breast and thigh joint, (breast temp should be a little lower than thigh) and let bird rest 1 hour after taking off egg to rest before slicing.  I'll try to find out recommended breast and thigh temp and get back with you, good luck.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Welcome to the forum
    B-)
    Suck up.
    How do you know I wasn't being facetious? One of the may tools in my repertoir

Steve 

Caledon, ON