Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimalist Ribs

Options
Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

Just wanted to share some pics from the ribs I made over the weekend. 

Minimalist Ribs  = ribs + salt + pepper + apple wood + 2 1/2 hours at 300°F raised direct. Very tasty and just about as simple as barbecue gets.  
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    How was the moisture and tenderness compared to other methods?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    They weren't as moist and tender as they would have been if I had cooked them indirect and foiled or mopped, but they were still surprisingly good. They were certainly the best 2 1/2 hour ribs I've ever had. 
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Although we love low and slow babybacks, we needed to come up with a fast way of cooking them. We would do the low and slow on our days off, but sometimes wanted ribs when we didn't get home until 6 pm. About 12 years ago we tried several different methods and then hit on this one and have been doing them ever since, when we are in a pinch for time. Parboiling is definitely OUT!

First I like to get the ribs at Costco, I look for the fresh ones that they have just boned the loins off of, if they don't have them then I'll get the crayovaced ones. I'll rinse them under cold water to get the blood off and pat them dry. Remove the membrane from the bone side, starting at the small end and pull towards the big end. Use a towel or pair of pliers to get a good grip. Then turn over and remove the extra layer of meat on the small end. Cut under the silver skin and trim this piece up. We cook this with the ribs and use them for munchies while the ribs are resting after the cook.

I'll rub them with Worcestershire on both sides and then season them. We usually like to make our own seasoning, but again because of time I grabbed the only thing I had in the pantry (McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning) and gave it a try. Sprinkled it lighty on both sides and rubbed it in, don't get to heavy handed with this because it will be very salty if you do. Since I only had a Weber gas grill at the time, that's what we cooked on. Cooked at 325-350 over direct heat bone side down for 30 minutes, checking to make sure there was no charring after 20 minutes, if there was then adjusting the temp. or moving them around on the grill. Next turn to meat side for 10 minutes, then back to the bone side, applied sauce and cooked for another 20 minutes. Total cook time was 1 hour. Pulled them off and tent foiled for 10 minutes. These are the kind that you gnaw on, not fall off the bone. Moist and flavorful.

I haven't tried this on the Egg yet, I just got it last week, but will soon. I'm guessing I'll have to cook these at the felt line over direct heat since it's hotter than the Weber. I may put a drip pan with some apple juice for added moisture in the Egg, also. I'll post how they come out. If anyone else tries this, please post your results.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.