Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking a turkey

ricktanner
ricktanner Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
when cooking a whole 14lb turkey do you put the PS legs down or up? also do i need to place in a foil pan to cook,and at what temp for how long ?

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Are you going to Spatchcock the turkey? When I cook turkeys I put the PS in Legs up with a foil lined pan under the grill.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • 57Driver
    57Driver Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I put my PS in legs up and used the ceramic feet that came with the grill to elevate the drip/roasting pan so the fat/drippings don't scorch.  I think I used @350 for 20 min/lb.  When you're done, pour the drippings into a measuring cup, let the fat rise, skim the fat and use the rest for gravy.  Good stuff!
  • I cooked a 16 pounder yesterday, just to make a test run for Thanksgiving.  Put the PS in legs up, laid a couple of fire bricks on top, then a 9 X 13 drip pan and then the turkey in the BGE rack inside the pan.  I added some chicken broth to the pan and replenished a time or two.  Turned out absolutely perfect.  The only thing I would do differently next time is to line the pan with HD aluminum foil.
  • i recently spatchcocked a 13 pounder. injected it with wine , butter, and honey. Damn thing was done within 2 hours and absolutely delicious. you'll be hard pressed to come out with a better bird. i just cant figure out why anyone would want to cook a turkey a different way. 

greygoose
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Assuming you're going the more traditional route (i.e. not spatchcock where you remove the backbone and open it flat), put the PS legs up and put a drip pan or 2 smaller ones on the PS with the grid on top.  You shouldn't need to cook it in a foil pan or otherwise unless you are looking to capture the juices with other ingredients being used for a gravy.

I've had the best success sticking with dome temp at or between 325-350.  The time will depend on the size of your turkey, whether you're stuffing it or not, spatchcock or not, and how consistent you maintain the temp - among other variables.  But, you can use 12-18 minutes per pound to determine when to start checking the temp.  Breast should be 160-165 and dark meat about 180.

Good luck!
    Ken
  • What's spatchcooking?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.