Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gotta do 2 birds for Thanksgiving, only got 1 BGE Large. Suggestions?

Big Porkbutt
Big Porkbutt Posts: 22
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I need to have 2 turkeys, hot and juicy about 3pm on Thanksgiving day. Problem is I only have one large BGE. Other than, go buy another egg does anybody have a suggestion on how best to handle this?  Planning to brine both turkeys, and I don't really want to cook one in the oven unless I have to.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Comments

• KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Depending on what size turkeys you plan on cooking, you could cook the first and double wrap in heavy duty foil and put in a cooler surrounded with towels or blankets.  As soon as you pull the first one, put the 2nd one on.  The one in the cooler should stay very warm to hot for at least 3 hours or more.  Hopefully by the time you're ready to carve the first one the 2nd one will be ready to pull.

A post I made yesterday has the details of what I describe above - aside from cooking a 2nd bird.

Good luck!
    Ken
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    If they are smaller 14 lb. or under, you could do them vertical, it should fit but will be cozy in there!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

You could spatchcock cook one at the felt line and use another grid to roast the second above the spatchcock bird.  Only trick may be timing as the spatchcock turkey will probably be finished first.  But depending on size it could work out.

However it goes let us know the results and good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i always do 2, one in the egg and one in the oven. the oven bird gets cooked with a sausage/bread stuffing, the egg bird gets the madmax treatment. serve the smoked bird first with the stuffing from the oven bird and serve the oven bird to the one that doesnt like smoked turkey, always seems to be one. oven bird makes a nice soup the day after
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • get 2 15 pound birds and spatchcock both of them, then build yourself one of these and put them on there at the same time.

GreyGoose
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    @greygoose: lets see a pic of that with the dome closed
    :-S
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • we both know that aint gonna happen..  i have since adjusted the height to 5 inches. works really good without the spider in and "ok" with the spider. other nice thing about this is that i adjusted the distance so that i can turn it upside down and user my 13 inch CI as the top rack if need be. 

GreyGoose