Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Wireless" Temperature Probes & Temp Controllers

Options
cajundave
cajundave Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest

First, I'm a new egg user interested in the referenced items. I will not be doing anything professionally, just personal cooking for family/friends, etc. I own an XL BGE. FYI, I presently own a cheap digital thermometer with a rubber sheathed probe that can set high and low limits. I just stick the probe through metal top to sense dome temp. Additionally, I have fork type (The Charcoal Companion) with a digital readout that takes 20 or 30 seconds to get to temperature (which seems like forever when searing) to sense internal meat temps.

Temperature Probes

Am I correct that all the available "wireless" temperature probes contain the probe connected to a sheathed cable which penetrates the BGE to a device outside of it that in turn transmits wirelessly. If the answer to the above is yes,  who are the manufacturers and what should I expect to spend on one with at least two temperature inputs. What about a Thermapen vs temp probes for sensing internal meat temps?

Temperature Controllers

I've read the reviews on the Naked Whiz site.   I'm not sure I'd opt for the fancy dancy, operate the cooker remotely deal but I might if someone of experience knows why it makes. It seems that if you could set a temp (simple controller) and have it hold the heat within the advertised range, that would be sufficient as long as you checked on it and when the meat's at temperature remove it.  Again, I'd like input on what I would expect to spend on simple vs sophisticated controllers (maybe a price range). I'm guessing that If you have to buy a temp device to measure the meat temp, and a controller for the BGE temp, a one stop solution might be the best operationally as well as cost effective.

Some stupid questions; 1) How do you get all these probes into the BGE. 2) What is the temp limit on metal sheathed cables/probes (nobody seems to advertise that)? 3) Do they work when searing at high temps without burning up the probe assembly?  

I'd appreciate any iinput before I go waste a bunch of money on stuff that doesn't work.  

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I like the Maverick ET-732, has two probes (one for grill temp and one for meat temp).  It has a wireless transmitter that is good up to 300 feet and works great.  Just run the wires out the side on top of the gasket.  The wire is rated at 600 to 700 degrees (can't remember exact temp), I run the wire over one of the legs of the plate setter so there is no direct heat.  Sells on Amazon for $59.99 with free shipping. 
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Options
    I've got a Maverick and I love it. I don't sear with it, over 550 I get no reading and the cables can fry.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I only use my Maverick ET-73 and DigiQ DX for low & slow cooks.  For anything that cooks higher than 350, I use my thermapen.  You simply run the wires under the lid.  My ET-73 is over 8 years old and I've never replaced a probe doing it that way.  Out of the 3, the themapen is by far the most used.  I use it on almost every cook.  If I could only have one, it's not even close, I'd take the themapen.  The ET-73 and the DigiQ are "nice to have" items.  The themapen is "required".
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I would get the Maverick ET-732 which you can get for $59.99 over at grillgrates!

Monitor internal 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    +1 for the ET-732. I have one and it's great.