Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty Daisy Wheel

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited November 2011 in Off Topic
I live 2 blocks from the ocean.  The salt air is killing my daisy wheel.  While perfectly functional, its completly rusted in less then 8 months. I'm thinking about getting a new one.  Does anyone have any solid methods to prevent this from happening? 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Get it plated. Check with your local plating shop and see what they recommend for cast iron and that the color is what you want.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    sounds like you leave it on the egg 24/7?

instead, after cooking, toss it in the egg and throw the ceramic cap on it.  the daisy should get a decent seasoning on it eventually from the soot and fat.

if you don't want to wait, you might wirebrush the surface rust off, season it with a little crisco or bacon fat (any fat, really, even cooking oil), and set it in a warm (maybe 200-250) egg for a few hours.

i did these, and they don't rust anymore as long as they aren't cleaned too vigorously

imageimage

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • When I'm not using it, I store ithe DW in the egg with the rain cap on and the vent closed.  The salt air is brutal. I'll try the your suggestions.  What do you think about cooking spray?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• stike
    Options
    cooking spray is nothing but cooking oil in a spray can.  would be fine
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the daisy comes painted, you may have overheated it at one time. the rust is more cosmetic than anything with cast iron, mines really rusted on one egg, the other is gunked and black on my mostly low and slow egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paulheels
    Options
    You do not need to buy another, unless you do not want to season your old one. 
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm- This website is very good for explaining seasoning and hot to season .  Hope this helps.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited January 2012
    Options

Daisy Wheel after 8 months of use

Daisy Wheel after seasoning

Med & XL

• stike
    Options
    not even sure the thing is painted, to be honest.  i think it has a coating of oil on it at best.  which i think is fine.
    i store mine in the egg. in the less used egg (small) it will get  rusty.  but that's cosmetic.  if it gets bad, i wire-brush halfheartedly, and hit with some oil, toss it in the egg after cooking, and it seasons itself for the most part.