Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer

Options
BBCause
BBCause Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer yesterday. I will try it out on a brisket this weekend. Could anyone who has experience with them answer any of these questions:
(1) Would you recommend that I wrap the cables in foil?
(2) Do you clip the smoker thermometer to the grate or place it in the hole where the BGE thermometer goes?
(3) Any suggestions for settings/temps. with a brisket?
(4) Any other tips or tricks that you have learned?
Thanks.

Comments

• Fishkiller
    Fishkiller Posts: 42
    Options
    BBCause,
    You got yourself a good thermometer, as far as the setup, what I do is wrap the cables in aluminum foil loosely from where the cable meets the probe far enough back making sure to cover any part of the cable that will be exposed to direct heat. I place my smoker temp probe on the grate using the provided clip as close to the meat as possible without actually touching the meat. Now, as far as the brisket goes, I haven't cooked one yet. I've done a lot of pork shoulders and I cook those about 2 hours a pound after I've slathered them with mustard and thrown some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust on them (I wrap them in saran wrap and let them sit in the fridge for a day before I cook them). I'll be watching the follow-ups to see if I can get some tips on a brisket, I want to cook one this weekend.
    good luck,
    fishkiller

• Unknown
    Options
    BBCause,[p]I don't wrap the wire leads.[p]Clip the pit temp probe on the grate.[p]I haven't cooked a brisket, but I cook butts all the time.[p]Sometimes you might see a "HHH" for the smoker temp. I have no clue what causes this but just keep an eye on the grill thermometer to make sure the temp is stable. The redi-chek will correct itself shortly.

• smokesignal
    smokesignal Posts: 15
    Options
    fishkiller,does your receiving unit on your maverick-73 ever lose its signal and just has lines on the display and then the reading will reappear after a few min? This seams to always happen when I wake up and need to check the temp at night, so I have to get out of bed and go outside and check it.[p]Thanks Larry

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    smoke signal,
    my older maverick does that, i have to bring it to the window at about 6 or 7 hours into the cook and wait and it starts reading again.i was thinking it could be the batteries as they have to be going on 2 years

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fishkiller
    Options
    smoke signal,
    I have only had the lines appear 4 times (all during the same cook), I originally thought that I had lost reception but I changed the batteries and it has not happened again. I don't know if that was the trick but it hasn't happened again.
    fishkiller

• Fishkiller
    Options
    TideJoe,
    I thought that if "HHH" appears the temp is >410 or the internal probe wire has shorted out due to moisture or heat damage....(from the instructions, I cheated).
    fishkiller

• Unknown
    Options
    fishkiller,[p]I know it's not too hot but it's possible that one of the others is true.[p]
  • EGGstremist
    EGGstremist Posts: 12
    Options
    BBCause,
    I clip the pit temp probe to the BGE Therm on the inside. I like cooking at dome temp, but a lot on the forum like to know grid temp so that is fine to. With temps only being at 230-250 I don't think you need the wires wrapped. If you are worried about that, maverick sells Heat resistant wires (different from the ones that came with the ET-73) [p]I do brisket at 230-250 (fat cap down of course). When it the meat gets to 160, take it off put it in foil, put it back on until 190 internal, take it off and let it rest at least an hour in foil (you can also put the meat still in foil and put it in a cooler for an hour)...tasty.

• Unknown
    Options
    BBCause,
    I don't have an egg, but I use my ET-73 with my W#SMs.[p]1. - I don't wrap my cables in foil
    2. - Some people have found that the clip can give a slightly false reading as the clip creates a thermal path to the probe. I usually just hang my probe slightly into the cooking chamber via the top vent of the WSM.
    3. Aim for 200 internal on the brisket
    4. The most difficult use with the ET in my opinion is setting the temperature alarms. I don't use the alarms (yet) - someday I'll figger that out, but until then, I'm happy with the ET as a monitor.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I found the standard cables to be pretty sensitive to overheating. When that happens you might as will buy a new unit for cost of replacing the cables. So I would wrap them or make sure they are not exposed to direct flames or temps much above 350.[p]Toy Man[p]