Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Eggers offering Cotronic gaskets (not enough interest so off the table)

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

I contacted Cotronics about their gasket and putty adhesive. Quite expensive for north of the border, however I'm thinking if their were others interested, I could order enough to do several eggs, avoiding some of the extra cost and splitting the rest.

Here is my quote;

In order to repair your Big Green Egg you need our 395-81 tape ($39.55) and our 907GF-6 ($20.75). This order, however, does not meet our $75 minimum material quantity, and would also be subject to a $15 small order fee as well as a $25 Canadian Foreign Handling fee, bringing your total to $100.30 + shipping.

The small order fee could be eliminated, the idiotic Foreign Handling fee and shipping cost could be divided and I could ship from my home for the exact cost of mailing or courier your choice.

If interested let me know ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I don't need a gasket but how come yours is ready for replacement already, it isn't that much older than my egg?

Gerhard
  • Squeezy

It isn't ready yet ... I don't want to wait for a replacement when it does go for a poop!

Checked my local dealer ... all he has is the felt gasket ... not going there!

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    That's a 50' roll right? How much is needed per egg? Is it 67" per half or is it 67" total?
  • Squeezy
    edited November 2011

I have made a couple of more inquiries as to how much gasket needed and I think that Coltronics cuts to need rather than a 50 ft roll which I'm guessing would cost a chit load. But, maybe cheaper if enough people are interested.

I've also asked the Whiz if one side or both sides need to be done.

Will share info as soon as I have it ....

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2011
    You need about 7' for just the bottom. Not sure if you put it on the top also. The price they gave you is for 50' I believe. You can use 3M super 77 I bet instead of their adhesive and that's like $7. That is what BGE recommends for Nomex.
  • Squeezy

Well if that is the price for 50' ... I'd have enough to easily do 4 larges top & bottom, which would significantly lower the cost for all ..

Large circumference is roughly 67" to perhaps 70" ....there is 72" in 6 ft.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and you only really need to do the bottom
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squeezy

You have personal experience stike?

Got a message back just now ... the roll is 100' ... so we could do a few eggs me thinks unless sitkes stands on my jewels again ....

• stike
    edited November 2011
    with the rutland.

cotronics is about as thick when scrunched up (don't pull it tight).

in the end, do what works best, just make sure however thick it is, it's equal to the thickness of a felt lower+upper gasket, or you will pinch in the back and gape at the handle.

meaning, if one thickness of rutland or cotronics is equal to the TWO felt gaskets, then using an upper and lower rutland (or cotronics) will double that thickness and possibly mess with your hinge.

not tryna be a d!ck.  this stuff has been gone over  bajillion times on the original forum....  lots of help there too.
    greeneggers.com
  • Squeezy
    I was only trying to see if there was enough interest in this product to order some ... perhaps, I should just go ahead and get it and then offer it or just forget the whole thing and get some Nomex or Rutland....
  • stike
    edited November 2011
    not sure what i might hav said that keeps you from doing that? >unsure<.  just simply saying, instead of using twice as much (by appying it to the upper/lower) you can do twice as many eggs if you only do the bottom

ask on the old forum.  there are a few cotronics users there who can tell you how they made outwith a single thickness.  the rutland can be bunched together to make it thicker, but that uses more gasket.  not sure the cotronics is 'bunchable'.

but they will know for sure
  • Squeezy

At no time did I argue the point as to whether one side or both were needed ... I just didn't know!

So now I do and the only interest has been from Lit and Jasper and they haven't actually said if they were interested.

I can't believe that you (stike) are unsure abut something ... must be a first!

• Count me in Squeezy. My first time ever using the egg I accidentally got it over 1000 degrees and although it seems to be fine, I'm sure I shortened it's life. (it put two cracks in my CI grill though).

Send me enough for a large egg and after you do you figuring on the cost splits, just let me know what I owe you. I'm cool with either PayPal or e-mail Interac.

Trev
    I love my egg.
  • Squeezy

Sounds good Trev, I would like to get 1 or 2 more committed before ordering though ...

How about it fellow Kenuckians?

• Agreed - I'm fine either way - just let me know when it happens.
    I love my egg.
  • Jasper
    edited November 2011
    I'm interested but it depends on the overall price. What about the adhesive? We all can't exactly share that. Sharing the cost of 100' roll would make more sense. But that all depends on who's in.
  • Squeezy

I just sent an email to Cotronics asking how far the adhesive putty will go. Some people seem to think the 3M 77 will work well with the Cotronic gasket, however the 3M adhesive is rated at 700º which to me would be the weakest link as far as heat tolerance goes.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet, buy the stuff, divide out the costs based on how many gaskets can be made from the roll (100÷7=14) and try and sell the remainder over time. Apparently, we only need to gasket the bottom.

• Squeezy
    edited November 2011

The putty adhesive comes in an 11 oz. tube and here is the usage as per the chart:

Half Round Bead Dispensed From  a 11 oz. Caulking Cartridge   

1/4" . . . . 80 ft.

1/2" . . . 21 ft.

3/8" . . . . 37 ft 5/8" . . . 13 ft.  From this I would gather, each would need their own tube or just use the 3M-77 or Permatrex copper.
    Roughly with 3 of us in it, cost would be $42 +shipping each( with one tube of putty each) unless we can find more people interested.
    What do you think?
  • Jasper
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, that's a little pricey for me.
  • Squeezy

Sorry about the lousy editing ... hard to extract from a PDF

• stike
    edited November 2011
    3M super77 no good for the cotronics.  permatex is a permanent fix
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I never had any issues with the 3m coming off and I did several pizzas at 700 plus when I had a Nomex gasket held on by 3m super 77.

• Squeezy
    Well with the underwhelming response to sharing this purchase, I'm only a hairs width from just packing it in ... on offence to Jasper & talltrevor.
  • stike
    edited November 2011
    super 77 on a nomex or felt gasket is entirely different than super77 on a braided gasket.

just to clarify, i never said anything negative about using super77 with felt or nomex.  they are felts though, and have a lot of surface area contact.  braided gaskets like the rutland and coltronics do not contact the surface of the cermaic evenly.  there are openings between each strand of the braid.  since super77 is nothing more than contact cement, and spraying gives you a thin coat, you don't get as much surface area contact.  if you brushed it on, you'd be doing better, but i'd use contact cement in that case.  no need for the spray variety.

permatex tho will fill the voids, and give better contact
  • Squeezy
    At this time, I'm thinking of going with Nomex with the Permatex and crap ... can't remember if that was a single or double sided adventure ....?
  • Squeezy

Unless I see a bunch of people committed to this purchase by Friday Nov. 11, I will cancel this venture.

Too expensive to go it alone or with only 2 or 3 ....

• stike
    edited November 2011
    just use a rutland.  cotronics is no safer, if that is the concern
  • just use a rutland.  coltronics is no safer, if that is the concern
    Agreed.  And you can do the whole thing for under $20.00 (Rutland & the Permatex Ultra Copper).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Like I said, I fine with whatever you do Squeezy - I don't need one - just nice to have backup.

I love my egg.
  • Squeezy

Nothing to do with safety ... only cost!

@talltrevor ... I like your attitude.