Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TURKY

Options
ricktanner
ricktanner Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
IM WANTING TO TRY A 12LB TURKEY ON MY BGE,HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK IT AND DO I USE THE PLATE SETTER,ALSO SHOULD I PUT A PAN OF WATER UNDER MY BIRD,HOW DO I SEASON MY TURKEY WITHOUT GETING FANCY,AND LAST WHAT TEMP?

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Lots of recipes under 'Poultry'
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Hi JLNC-

Been egging for almost 10 months now and am a spatchcock chicken convert-much easier and less messy than a beer butt chix and better tasting.  So, I have decided to spatchcock the turkey for Thanksgiving.

Only challenge I see is getting the backbone out-any pearls of wisdom?? I have a hatchet sharpened and ready if necessary.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Many thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sure it will turn out fine-been weber (charcoal then gasser) cooking the T-day bird for about 30 years-haven't had to go the audible with a pizza yet:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kkaalaas
    Options
    How Long at 350?