Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
Medic72072
Medic72072 Posts: 23
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I use natural lump charcoal in my egg.  I've tried a couple different brands.  Does anyone have any input or opinions about The BEG and Cowboy Natural Lump Charcoal?  Seems like the times I've used the Cowboy it's always burned out too fast.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    a search of this forum for lump would produce a plethora of results including a link to Naked Whiz lump comparisons.   :)  

BGE is a premium brand supposedly produced by Royal Oak.  Cowboy - at least at one time - is produced from trimmed pieces of flooring material (all natural - no chemicals etc...) and being kiln dried would typically burn hotter and faster.  I have used it for short cooks like steaks and burgers etc. And typically use RO or Grill Mark (ACE Hardware - also a RO brand).  I have not tried Wicked Good or Ozark as of yet. It will depend on what you can get at this time of year - most of the Lump seems to be "seasonal" at most stores.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Read charcoal reviews here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

BGE lump is just Royal Oak and is very overpriced.  Walmart sells  Royal Oak (make sure it is USA charcoal) seasonally.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    Walmart sells Royal Oak year round depending on that particular store and location. All my Walmarts have it in stock year round.
  • ricktanner
    Options
    can i use regular charcoal mixed with lump in my bge?
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Options

Why? Lump is the best. But if you have too just don't use matchlight or anykind of charcoal that has lighter fluid in it.

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ricktanner...

'regular' briquettes are do-able, but they create a LOT of ash (causing changing airflow on longer cooks), and they don't burn as long or as hot as lump.

briquettes are crushed or waste lump bits pulverized and extended with binders.  a pound of briquettes contains less fuel than a pound of lump, which is why it is cheaper.

they were designed to allow charcoal to burn at a fixed rate in open air (metal) grills.  you don't need or want that in an egg, where you can actually control the fire with airflow.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Call me lazy but I get it delivered to my front door with zero delivery charge.  Twelve bags of Ozark Oak (highly rated by Naked Whiz survey) came in 4 boxes, total cost $107.40 or $8.95/bag.
  • Medic72072
    Options
    Where do you order Ozark Oak from?  I am interested in getting some.
  • SimmonsFamily
    Options
    I too use Ozark Oak and will use no other. I picked mine up in the Harps Grocerie store in NW Arkansas. It's alot cheaper to, I paid like $4.50 for a 10 lb. bag.
  • ribmaster
    Options
    www,grillstuff.com
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Currently priced at $10.95 per bag.
    Dave
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA