Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of lamb

Options
Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited November 2011 in Lamb

Marinaded this rack with Dijon mustard, Rosemary, Thyme, Tarragon, fresh garlic, EVOO, rice vinegar, dark rum, S & P for 4 hrs.

Cooked for 20 min. @ 400º to an internal of 152º ... should have checked it at 15 min. as I wanted to take it off at 125º

Still, it was very moist & tender and I'm already looking forward to the next one ....

Also did some purple sweet potato, which I found to be sweeter and a little too mild in flavor!

!image

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• burr_baby33
    Options

Looks like the rack turned out beautifully.  When you said you pulled it at 152 I was expecting the meat to look fully well done but it still had some pink in it.  I've been doing lamb chops very regularly; love em.

• Squeezy
    Options

I was surprised too at how much pink I had at the temp., but my thermopen found 152º to be the lowest ... temps were higher out to the edges as expected.

Grocer had a bunker full of these on sale and I only bought 2 @ about $5 a piece ... can you say dumba$$?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the pink at 152 is still pretty dang good.

my favorite dinner, rack of lamb.
    nice looking cook

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squeezy
    Options
    burr_baby33 Are your lamb chops local raised or imported? I find the local meat too mild ... I guess from years of eating nothing but New Zealand lamb.
  • P_Funk
    Options
    Hey Squeezy, new poster here. I'm wondering if you did your rack direct or indirect? I've tried a couple now and neither looked as good as yours. Also wondering if you pre-seared?

-Harry
  • Squeezy
    Options

Not sure why I didn't take a pic on the grill ... it was done direct and as you can see, was hotter at one end than the other. It did brown up quite nicely though.

How did you do yours P_Funk?

• P_Funk
    Options
    The first one I seared in a frying pan and then cooked indirect at 400 until it was around 130. For the second one, I had just picked up a spider and 13" CI grate so I tried searing the rack on that and over did it a little (got a bit black). Then I finished it direct at 400 until it was 125. The first one came out a lot better due to lack of burnt taste. The second was not so good. I probably should experiment with the spider on a cheaper piece of meat.  I guess I'll try it direct with no sear next time...
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Stike - I am somewhat distracted by what Gia is doing in your avatar  :x
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Pfunk: searing meat works, but searing fat never does. I made the same mistake with lamb. High temp roast, short and fast, can give you a nice brown crust. I also learned that i need to trim the fat closer. I love fat, but an untrimmed rack can have 3/4" sometimes

@reh111: all she's doing is grating carrots
    See here!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DxffYN8I8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that's a great looking meal Squeezy

the first time I bought purple sweet potato, I was horrified that it wasn't actually purple ;-)
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Options

Yeah, it was more pink almost fucia (sp.)

I wouldn't buy the purple again, too expensive, too mild, and too sweet for my taste. The store didn't have any of the regular variety that day.

So did you like it LDD?

• burr_baby33
    Options
    Our local Kroger grocery carries lamb chops, vacuum sealed, 3 to a package.  They are absolutely fabulous, very mild,  so I've been cooking them a couple times a month.  They are a little pricey.  I want to try a rack.  Do you cook it bone side down and then flip or just meat side down only after the sear?
  • Squeezy
    Options

We get those in 6 packs, like mini-T-bones ... very expensive unless past their 'best before' date.

As stated above, I had temp. around 400º, placed it bone side down for 10 min. flipped for 10 min. and it was slightly overdone. No sear was attempted, but as you see got good color, which may have a bit to do with the mustard based marinade. Nest time, I will cut time down to 15 min. using the same temp. so that I don't cook past 125º internal ...