Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built in Egg - resale value?

Options
thisguy
thisguy Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Root
I'm building an outdoor kitchen, and I'd like to include a built-in grill.  Clearly an egg can be built in and is the far superior choice to any other grill :).  However, I'm not planning to be in the house for a whole lot longer (perhaps up to a year), and am therefore most worried about what a potential buyer will like / want to buy.  So I know this might be a biased crowed to ask, but do you think there is any chance that a built-in gas grill will be more appealing to buyers than a grill?  Would an egg be as appealing, or perhaps less so?  Or, has to popularity of eggs grown so much that "most" buyers would like it?

Thanks,
Guy

Comments

• troutgeek
    Options
    Yes,  a biased crowd here, but the first thing I think when seeing a built-in gas grill is how well was it maintained, and did it develop leaks since last used.  Gas wears out.  Now seeing a house with an egg.  Well, that's just super quirky (in a good way), and these people know something about cooking!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

I have a couple of thoughts on this-

As an ex Realtor I will advise you that investment dollars spent should be spent on the kitchen for your biggest return.   If you want a nice outdoor kitchen have a gas and an Egg.  Hard to find anyone who would have a problem with that type of set up.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thisguy
    Options

OK, that is what I was thinking too.  I understand the ROI of home investments are typically under 100%, with kitchens being toward the top.  Fortunately (or not), I do much of the work myself which lowers the upgrade cost.

Only problem is that being budget constrained, total dollars spent is important too.  So if I put in a functional gas grill, then I HAVE to buy an egg too...so I HAVE to buy two grills.  I HAVE TO. :)

Thanks,

Guy

• joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I was planning on building my outdoor kitchen with 2 large eggs and a power burner. Then someone mentioned to me that most people looking at a house with an outdoor kitchen would want a natural gas grill. Plus if I move I'd take the eggs with me so I'd really have an outdoor kitchen with 2 "holes". I really don't want to spend an extra $1,500 on a gas grill that I probably won't use. But in the end it may be my better option over 2 "holes" when I decide to move in the next year or so.
  • thisguy
    Options

The other idea I had was to build a plateform that would accept the egg, but was wide enought that a gas grill could be dropped in if desired.  Basically, size an area to do both.

Not sure how feasible that idea is, but I'm going to look into it and sketch up a few ideas.

-Guy