Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why this one over all others?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why the egg over all others? Am considering buying one but it's a lot of money so want to know I'm making the right decision. Thanks!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    ES,
    Read the forum...it sold me my first egg....[p]Wess

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    ES,[p]I love my Egg, but I would bet that the other ceramic units are fairly similar. But BGE customer service is really great -- not sure the others can beat it.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    ES,[p]I bought my first Large BGE after taking back a big stainless gasser to Costco. Cooking on the egg is like no other grill. Smoking on the egg is fantastic. Customer service from BGE is outstanding.[p]A lot of money is relative, but the egg will last and last backed by it's lifetime warranty.[p]Go for it. You won't be sorry.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ES, just to parly what has already been said...
    it is THIS board,
    it is THIS company's service
    it is THIS product. PERIOD[p]If nothing else review the profiles and note how many of us are multiple BGE owners! Doesn't THAT say something?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ES,[p]If you can find another cooker with a dedicated following better than the Big Green Egg, go for it! Seriously.[p]The fact that this product commanded this much attention and dedication to great food (and the whole experience while cooking it) said a lot to me before I bought my large.[p]At the end of the day, be happy with what ever you decide to buy. Life is to short to worry about whether or not you made the right choice (BGE! LOL)[p]Peace,[p]coldegg
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    ES,[p]OK, Get out the tissue paper, and I'm sure you are going to think that I'm full of it. But, really, the egg has changed my life! We used to eat out all the time, now we egg 4 to 5 times a week. Food is fantastic, my wife thinks I can cook, we spend more family time at home, and we save more money. Oh yeah, and what everyone else said. The BGE is the shizzle, no doubt!
  • Unknown
    Options
    ES,[p]Customer service without a doubt.
    There's a "cult-like" following for a reason.
    The forum clearly shows unmatched enthusiasm for them.
    StumpBaby owns one, and he's real smart.[p]Stump..er..uhh...I mean..uh....Johnny Wishbone

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ES, Nicely worded!![p]My take on it.
    You can find egg dealers all over the place. The network is already vast, and growing at a robust clip. Chances are also real good that you have eggers living near you and the value of hooking up with other talented eggers is a valuable first hand experience. [p]Plus you will make some good friends...Now it would be silly to think you would choose a cooker to make friends, but the egg seems to have a strange way of bringing folks together....unarguably, better than any other cooker.[p]And like the folks below said. The strength of the company itself, its people, and the way it handles customers has got to be the envy of the other guys.
    Happy cookin to you
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    ES,[p]When you go ceramic, you'll never go back. I used to own a Weber charcoal and a kettle smoker, but hardly used them because they were so much trouble and the food wasn't all that fantastic for the effort. They're gone now.[p]We started looking around for the perfect gas grill, one that would be convenient and would impart that classic "grilled" taste. After looking for two months I asked myself "why are you trying to find gas grills that taste like charcoal? Just GET charcoal."[p]That's when I discovered ceramic cooking. The ease of making fantastic food is entirely different from the old cranky grilling method.[p]1) Ceramics are a breeze to light and hold temperatures.[p]2) They use clean burning lump charcoal. No briquettes! Better taste in the food.[p]3) The ceramic holds in heat and moisture. It takes months to use up a bag of lump charcoal. (unless you cook 5 times a week like most ceramic cooks on this site)[p]4) You'll never find a more moist and better tasting piece of meat than on a ceramic cooker. It's a 3,000 year old technology.[p]5) The cooker never rusts.[p]6) You can not only grill like you're probably used to, but it now becomes possible to do REAL BBQ. Smoked turkeys, pulled pork, briskets, prime rib. And because you can hold temps for long periods effortlessly, you'll ACTUALLY do these cooks. I had a kettle cooker for 5 years and did a total of 5 turkeys. That's it. pathetic. I've already done 5 pork shoulders, 5 chickens, hamburgers, steaks, and misc. foods and I've only owned mine for about 2 months.[p]I'm doing two pork shoulders and a brisket this weekend.[p]Whew! Is that enough info for you? :-)

• Unknown
    Options
    ES,All of the above are true, truer than you will ever know until you to become one of the PROUD, THE FEW, THE EGGHEADS!!!!!!! Come and become one with us.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    ES,[p]Here's what you get with the Egg that you won't find with the others:[p]~Unparalleled lifetime customer service backed by a solid company who's sales have grown by 20% a year.
    If ever you have an issue, pick up the phone, talk to BGE and it's taken care of..... done. [p]~This forum... which is like a 24 hour Egg support team and one of the most active grill/bbq forums on the net.
    Folks here will bend over backwards to answer any of your questions along with step by step instructions for every cook imaginable ...... not to mention tons of instructional photos.
    Your chances of cooking something bad by following the suggestions on this forum is very slim.[p]~Bill Wise's recipe book.... which is comprehensive look at ceramic cooking with accumulated tidbits from the years and hundreds of tried and true recipes.
    The Naked Whiz's Ceramic cooking site which, after reading, will leave you enlightened.[p]~And like others have said, the several gatherings a year where eggers and their cookers get together, cook and party for days at a time.[p]With all of these things combined, I don't know where you'll find another cooker, let alone another product, like this one.[p]But whatever you decide, please sign into the visitor profiles anyway.
    There are a lot of good folks here who don't cook on an egg but regularly contribute and make this place work and make it a real community. Good luck![p]John

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    ES,[p]In the long run I figure cooking on my Egg for six years about 4 times a week is costing me one point seven eight cents and falling every time I light Him up. Other ceramic units are fine too and have their place most certainly but where else can you be immediately inducted into a cult? You'll make the decision that's right for you. Good luck and check in from time to time.

• IndianaJames
    Options
    ES,[p]You think a egg is expensive? HAH!! Bought first egg in December to cook inthe cold..then a buncha eggsessorries, then a table for the LGE, then in Jan Small Egg for travel, etc. then in March a pallet of Wicked Good Charcoal...then a MAPP gas torch, Guru golf club etc etc etc, now I need tp build a covered patio, etc etc etc...nutz, it is really gettin into the old pokketbuk now! Well worth it though, can't get thru the day without a fix from the forum and some really good cookin ideas.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    IndianaJames,[p]Don't forget the RV to take your eggs on picnics!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Well said

• Unknown
    Options
    WessB,
    After dealing with a competitor's extremely poor customer service and blatant lying about ship dates, I'd recommend going with the BGE (I've tasted food on several of the ceramics and all were great). The availability, forum, and apparent high satisfaction with the BGE and its service has me literally days away from buying one (and cancelling an order I've placed with a competitor.

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks, John! I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. That does it -- I am getting one!!! [p]I have been an avid griller for a few years but got into the big green egg after a friend smoked pulled pork on it for me. AMAZING!!! I can't wait to get tips from great people like you on this forum. [p]So thank you for taking my question so seriously -- I was concerned that people would think I was blaspheming the Big Green Egg. Now I know it is well worth the investment, not just for the product, but for the support from great people like you.[p]THANKS!
  • Unknown
    Options
    IndianaJames,
    THANKS for the posting! Very impressive. I know I will follow your lead and get all the accessories -- I was looking at them and I haven't even bought the egg yet! THanks again to you and everyone who responded. GREAT forum!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    John,
    Well said Sir! And it's all true!
    Mitch

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    ES,[p]You're welcome! Glad you're aboard![p]Now I have to leave this minute or I'll be more than late for dinner with eggers on the Potomac... save me a pile of shrimps...... heeee![p]John