Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spatchcocked chicken!

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Just completed my first spatchcocked chicken and used a variation of the recipe on the naked whiz site. I cut the backbone and breast plate out last night and placed in the refrigerator uncovered almost 24 hours. Rubbed with a little oil and seasoned with Tony C's. Placed the chicken over direct heat on main grid (not raised) at around 375°. Cooked for one hour and never opened the lid. I figured I would be ok going the full hour before checking since my temp took a bit to get back up and I think my chicken was a little on the cold side going in, but when I checked with thermapen it was 200+ in the thigh. Whoops... The good part was it was still very tasty nice crispy skin. Next time I will check earlier or maybe raise my grid. Temp was very steady most of the cook but seemed to want to rise towards the end. Kinda been fighting my temps on the last couple of cooks. Oh yeah, also I used a couple chunks of pecan on this cook..
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments