Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef heart

Options
Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

Got half a beef heart on sale yesterday and thought I'd egg it. Made a simple injection that just wouldn't stay in ... came back out as fast as it went in ... LOL! 

So I dumped it in a drain pan with rack and put it in the egg @ about 300º for about an hour .... internal 152º No plate setter.

Rubbed with DP's Red Eye Express

Sliced it thin and piled it on a sandwich ... was very moist with a nice chew like you might expect from heart meat ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Don't think I'll be trying that one Squeezy. By the way how did you get four racks of ribs laying flat on the large a while back. Were they small? I have a couple racks and I can't see getting but maybe one more on there with them.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Squeeze, you gave me quit a giggle with your simple injection comment. All I could think of was at least the cow didn't have any coronary artery disease. Hope you enjoy your creation. Maybe a buttermilk soak would tenderize it?????
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy
    Options

Gato, the 4 racks started out on a rack and they were a bit smaller than average. I took them out of the rack to sauce them and by that time, they had shrunk enough. No chance to do that with sides.

Giggles are a good thing Granny... I didn't feel a need to tenderize, I like the texture and sliced thin was quite manageable ( I have all my own teeth) 

:D
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Heart (and tongue) are too often overlooked. I do a few every year. I like to brine them overnight, which reduces some of "tang." Marinades work well, but I usually just brush some oil on to hold the rub. Cleaning off all the connective filaments can be a pain, but the remaining meat makes some of the leanest sandwich slices around. Last one I had had a large suet fat cap. I rendered that down. Makes for a great fryinh oil. Haven't tried using it in pastry, but I'm told suet makes some of the flakiest crusts ever.
  • Squeezy
    Options

I like the 'tang' myself ... What cooking method do you use gdenby specifically for the tongue?

Isn't beef suet used to make lard which is the unhealthy (who cares) but best way to bake?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I boil or pressure cook the tongue first. I don't have a set time, but long enough to turn it gray all over. Then use a very sharp knife to peel away the outside skin, which is still just about as tough as leather. Also check for bits of bone at the root.

Because the back of the tongue is much thicker than the front, I cut the tongue into about equal volume chunks, three or four. Then rub and cook lo-n-slo like anything with lots of collagen. It takes smoke very well, so I don't use much. Some portions will have so much gell that thin slices are slightly translucent. Great for sandwiches.

Suet is a very hard kind of fat, and different from muscle fat. Most is found around the kidneys. When rendered, is called tallow. It has a very high smoke point for animal oils, and so is great for frying 'taters. It is indeed very high in calories. It is/was the best fat for making pemmican, which was the standard journey food for native Americans, voyageurs,trappers, etc.

Lard is from pork fat, preferably from back fat. It is healthier in food than butter. It is lower in saturated fat, higher in monounsaturated fat than butter, and has some protein. (Most commercial lard is hydrogenated, which ruins it healthwise.) Both tallow and lard are good for flaky pastry dough because they don't melt at room temperature. So little bits are easily mixed in with the flour, which then puff up the dough when cooked.

Once upon a time, when there wasn't so much energy dense processed food, both tallow and lard were highly desirable. Although my mother eventually came to think it was disgusting, her big treat back in the 1920s was the day the lard man came around with fresh lard. She ate it an inch thick on bread. It was as close as she could get to ice-cream.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We use lard when we bake pies at home, Tenderflake made by Maple Leaf and it is no-hydrogenated.  I think it has something like 1/30 of the transfats that vegetable shortening has.  I think back in the 70s Crisco and other shortening manufacturers killed the lard business through their questionable health claims.  Not a big fan of tallow the taste seems to stay on my tongue for hours.

I cooked four racks on the large eggs a few weeks back, I cut them in half to make them more manageable it was a tight fit but not bad.

Gerhard
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Reminds me of all the BS about margarine (plastic) being healthier than butter ... nothing could be farther from the truth!