Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp Calibration.

Options
troutgeek
troutgeek Posts: 458
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I purchased my large BGE in August.  Everything is going great, with the exception of blowing out a gasket while cooking pizzas.  This weekend was a weird one for the egg.  Everything ended up overdone.  I calibrated the dome temp back in August.  I calibrated it again tonight and it was 100 degrees off (low).  Is this typical?  Is this a cold climate thing?  (I live in Wisconsin)  Should I expect to recalibrate each change of seasons or do I need a new dome thermometer?  I've done butts, paella, chili, ribs, spatchcock chicken... lot's of stuff.  No problems until this weekend.

BTW -- I purchased my egg in August, but it's a 2010 model, so it has the old dome thermometer.
XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was typical.... if you rotate the dial when it is clipped on the inside, it could move the calibration. I keep my clip on the stem and simply slide it through the dome - nothing holding it on inside. Very easy to check the calibration. 
    Mine is 6 years old and still working. When it quits, I'll go with the TeleTrue. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    troutgeek, that is not typical.  I have a 6 year old BGE thermometer that is condensated over and I still get accurate reading, albeit hard to read,  but it holds its calibration.  I would call your dealer or the mothership and see about a replacement.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Sounds like a plan then.  I'll call the dealer.  Thanks for your input.
  • troutgeek
    Options
    I have the best dealer around.  Yes, there's an egg dealer in Madison, but I chose to go to another dealer about 45 mins away because I know the family.  If anybody near Madison WI is looking for a dealer, give Ace Hardware in Evansville a call. 

Anyway, I got this taken care of last night.  Sent him a message, and I'll have a new teltru by Thursday.