Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA and EMPANADAS

Options
NJ-Professor
NJ-Professor Posts: 86
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Haven't made a pizza for some time.  Quick question: Plate setter feet up or down?  Perfect temperature?

Senior Moment: Made empanadas a while back and can't remember which ones came out edible....the ones directly on plate setter or the one one on a cookie sheet.   

Any recipes for Faina out there?

Thanks to all!

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    For pizza, I go plate setter legs down, green ceramic feet on top of plate setter and pizza stone on top of ceramic feet. As for temp, I think it really depends on what kind of heat your dough (how much heat it likes, how thick, etc...). You'll probably get all kinds of recommended temps. I find 450-550 works for me.

I haven't made empanadas or faina so I can't help you there. Good luck!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks for your help.  Not sure what the green ceramic feet do but I only asked because I recently read on this forum about someone who was baking a pizza cooking, plate settter down cooking their gasket.  It sounded counter-intuitive but the person made it sound like BGE says it's common.
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options
    I've had some gasket issues and BGE told me directly to avoid cooking with the platesetter feet down as it spreads a lot of heat near the gasket level and can contribute to gasket problems.  I'm not sure that it really matters to how the pizza cooks which way the plate setter is, although I'm not an expert, and it might be harder to get a high temp with the platesetter feet up?