Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket burned off

eggfanatic
eggfanatic Posts: 5
edited October 2011 in Root
Hi,
Even before finishing my first bag of charcoal, the wool felt gasket on my new large BGE singed off around its inner circumference and separated from the top and bottom halves when I opened the lid during a burn off of chicken fat from the plate setter.
The BGE man was kind to send me a replacement high temperature gasket. Now I seek advice about installing it. Do you have any tips or tricks on the particulars of preparing the rims for installation and adjusting the metal band when I reinstall the top half?
Thanks!

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Use a scraper or a razor blade to get most of the old gasket off. Then use a 3M paint removing disk and then wipe clean. Make sure it's dry then spray 3m into a paper cup and use a paintbrush to paint the glue on the gasket side and on the lip of the Egg. Do this around 6" at a time so the glue will not dry out. Reassble your lid and keep it closed for 24 hrs to let it cure.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Thanks for the tips!
    After successfully installing the high temperature gasket, I celebrated by searing tuna steaks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Still be careful when doing pizzas with the high heat gasket. I wouldn't go above 550 or there's still a chance you will fry the high heat one. My last one made it through several pizzas at 700 but eventually almost melted my egg shut. For searing food with the lid open you are fine going as hot as you want.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no need to use super77 (referred to above as "3m") into a cup.  it is nothing more than contact cement in sprayable form.  paying a premium for the spray variety, then spraying it into a cup, is a waste.

the idea behind recommending the super77 is that it can be sprayed on the gasket more easily.  but since it (and contact cement) provide the strongest bond when BOTH surfaces are sprayed and allowed to dry to the 'tacky' stage, the problem of spraying the rim becomes an issue.

i frankly would have no qualms spraying directly on the rim, from the inside of the cooker pointing outward, and fairly close.  would give you a nice amount of the stuff on the rim, minimal overspray on the exterior, and whatever spray there is internally would not be there very long after firing off.  It can be wiped away on the exterior with odorless mineral spirits.

if you are inclined to brush it on, skip the super77 in the first place and consider contact cement. after spraying the super77 into a cup, that's all you have anyway

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The gasket seems like an (un)-necessary evil. There must be another way to close and seal the halves without depending on material(s) that cannot withstand higher BGE operating temperatures.
    Never thought I would find myself cooking more than family and friends can eat and still wanting to do more with the BGE!