Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock duck

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited October 2011 in Poultry

Did a spatchcocked duck the other day. Method came from a recipe on the other forum. All in all, it came out quite well, moist and flavorful with some crispy skin

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    When/if I ever remember to defrost it, I plan on trying this too.  
    I see you used a drip pan, did the fat survive without burning?  Potatoes sautéed in duck fat are better than just about anything.  (and may I add that Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" automatically adds the little tic mark in the word "sautéed"?  That's kewl!)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Squeezy
    Yes the fat survived just fine, although didn't get as much as I would have liked (didn't render enough for my taste) Used some of that fat to make a roux for a duck gravy/orange sauce that went very nicely with the meat.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Looking good. The skin looks nice and crisp.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    very nice!
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy, that looks very good.  I am not a duck fan, but #1 son is.  Might be tempted to do that for his christmas treat.  Thanks for the post...it is bookmarked
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Nice looking bird Squeeze. I always enjoy seeing the pix of your cooks. Can I ask what the small grate the bird was sitting on was for? Also what was the approx cook time?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Squeezy

Cooked for 2¼ hrs. between 380º and 450º ... temp got a bit high on me!

Small grate was just for moving the bird around any hotspots and ease of putting in and taking off the egg.

Incidently, that is out of a cheap little tabletop kettle grill. Although bird was done, I think another half hour would have rendered a bit more fat.

• GrannyX4
    Did you prick the skin with a fork prior to cooking?
  • Squeezy
    No I did not even think to as I'm always paranoid about losing the natural juices ....
  • GrannyX4
    edited October 2011
    I was watching someone on dinners, drive in, and dives and they were pan frying duck breasts and they pricked the skin all over to render the fat.

This is what Ina Garten says:

With a fork, prick the skin without piercing the meat. This will allow the fat to drain off while the ducks cook.
  • Squeezy

I'll try that next time (skin pricking), however as I stated before, my best duck cooks were on a rotisserie on my gasser.

Going to try one on my turkey cannon next time though and see how that goes on the egg!

• When I cook fat duck (duck for foie gras) breast on my plancha (kind of skillet) we use to carve the skin in order to make the fat cook and the skin get crunchy... as the plancha collect the liquids (there is an angle and a drop) I simply make a dam of potatoes or yams, and they cook in the duck fat...

BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Great idea, Gamera06!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• You will get more duck fat to render if you cut a cross-hatch pattern on the skin. I use a  sharp boning knife and cut very shallow slits in the skin. You have to be very careful not to cut into the meat or it will dry. Duck cooks and renders a lot better at lower temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON