Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Cast Iron Grid

wnaber
wnaber Posts: 8
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I did my first 2 cooks on my XL BGE over the weekend.  Saturday night chicken thighs, Sunday burgers and a fillet for my wife.  The food was AMAZING!  I wish I bought a BGE sooner!

I just placed an order for a woo2 from the ceramic grill store.  I am also looking for a cast iron grid for searing steaks.  I was looking at the 18" grid BGE sells, but I am wondering if there are any other recommended sources for CI grid's other than the one BGE sells.

Will

Comments

• Craycort makes CI grates for the BGE. They have a 24 inch grid for the Egg but there is an error on the site and it is not showing up.

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grids-for-bge-and-kamados-c-10.html?zenid=5stvl7pgegsj431ekmf17ahcn4
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • I bought direct from BGE, it comes as two halves. I guess for easy handling or to mix and match.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    direct from BGE, it comes as two halves

Same here....CI does a great job on steaks...don't know why but seem to taste better....BTW...where's the quote button?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    On the xl woo2, bge's 18" large 18 and 15" medium cast iron grids fit.  You'll have the option of how far to drop into the fire ring by placing it in or out of the platesetter notches.  Put in the notches for close; out of the notches for not as close to the lump.  Make sure to check the lump for an even burn.  May need to do a quick stir. It's a big firebox.

You can also finish the steaks at the felt line by dropping the xl grid on the xl woo2.   I suggest leaving the ci grid in place while finishing the steaks above but drop a small piece of mesquite on the grid to get smoldering smoke flavor.  On the grid the wood smolders better and longer than if thrown in the lump.  I reseason the grid when I pull the steaks.  Grid reasons itself as the egg cools down.  

For cast iron grids, I'd stick with BGE.  They have a proven track record and you have two options, fat side or thin side.   Might also look look at rectangular skillets and such for blackening or quick veggies. 

BGE's 18CI below, fajita cook,

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • wnaber
    edited October 2011
    TJV,

Who makes the cast iron skillet with the bail handle?  That is a great setup!  I'ts perfect for the BGE and camping.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    that's a tjv modification.  cut the handle, rolled the stainless half ring, drilled couple holes in skillet and welded on with nuts.   The best I can tell why you don't see skillets with handles is the skillets swing easy, not enough weight given the short center line.  Would be easy to dump if not careful......works great for blackening and stuff.  the skillet pictured is an old harbor freight 15" diameter skillet, less handle.  I"m not sure they offer them anymore.  t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • wnaber
    Nice mod!!!  I figured it just may be a custom job.  Lodge has a 17" with loop handles which would work as long as I used some good gloves. 

Will
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited October 2011
    The BGE CI griddle is the one that does not make sense to me. It's not big enough for the XL. You're better off with a third party solution for your XL Egg/Big Joe.

I wonder BGE ever plans to make a griddle that fit's the XL.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring