Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip - a short pictorial

Options
The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Had some fun last night with a tri tip...

Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options

I think your officially hooked on the EGG!!! 

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Techno Tri-tip!
    context is important :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What temp did you cook to? An hour seems long mine usually hit 125 in 30 minutes or less.
  • The_Grill_Sergeant
    Options
    I have no idea as I do not yet possess a thermometer.  I know, I know - bad cop, no donut.  An hour was a little long, but It was a pretty big cut, and my family loved the hell out of it, so it was a success.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You really should get a digital thermometer even if it is a cheap one. I just got my parents one from TJ Maxx made by Bull for $8. Its not as fast as a thermapen but it was accurate at about 4-5 second read time. You also might want to try this on a tri tip. I rub it then put it in a big zip lock bag and take the air out. Then put it in 100 degree water for an hour submerged in the bag to bring its internal temp up (you will have to add hot water several times to keep the temp up) then I sear it on each side for several minutes (3 flips so each side sears twice) until it reaches 125 internal then pull and dome in foil for 5-10 minutes Usually takes 10-15 minutes or so to reach 125 and you will end up with medium rare.
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    no thermo - that's like breaking an egg law or something :O
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

.... and the pictorial is where?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • The_Grill_Sergeant
    Options
    In the OP where it says YouTube Video - Click Me!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Doh!  .... totally missed it before.

Looked good ... was hoping to see the inside cut :(

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.