Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Optimum Height for SS grate as a makeshift rig recommendation

Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
While sitting around drinking and waiting for my 9lb butt to finish, the liquor must have taken a strange path and i got the idea to use my stainless steel grate as a "rigged somewhat adjustable" rig. I saw a couple of forum members doing something similar and thought i'd give it try.  I'd like to know the optimum height the secondary grate should be off the main grate to be best used with plate setter in and out.  The problem here is that the stainless steel grate is an 18 incher (vs. a 15). 

as you can see in my photo, with the plate setter in place, I run out of room real quick. the height you see was actually set up for a direct cook and fit pretty well.  Lid closed just fine. Can someone whos been through this already tell me the optimum height from the primary grate this secondary grate should be for proper fit with and without the plate setter? i want to set this at one height and just be done.  biggest item that will be put on the primary grate will be a pork shoulder of about 9lbs. The rest is usually grilled thin meats (burgers, steaks, pork loins, etc), and spatchcocked birds. just looking for enough room to put another spatchcocked bird up there or a vegetable tray. 

Appreciate the help

GreyGoose

Comments