Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut Charcoal

Options
Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago I picked up a 10kg box of Charcos for $25. This is a coconut charcoal. I wanted to try to make some beef jerky. I had the DigiQII and was hoping to keep a long slow burn with it.  The coconut burns clean so food can go on right away. No need to let the smoke clear out.
The little pieces of lump, I would almost call them pellets, were placed in the bottom of the egg. I used about 15 pieces I stacked them like a pyramid so there would be good air flow. Lit the top one with a propane torch, set the DigiQII to 165, put the meat on, closed the lid and let her run. 14 hours later when I got home from a concert I took the meat off. Great stuff. Surprised by the remains in the Egg. Still pieces of the 15 left. The three pictures to follow show the brand I used, the remains of the day, and the jerky.
If you  find the stuff give it a try. Or don't.

Comments