Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

I've been cooking on the BGE since March of 2010.  I'm always looking for improvements and was wondering if the Cast Iron Grate was significiantly better then the stock grate that comes with the BGE.  Will the Cast Iron completely replace the porcelin grate?  Any information you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited October 2011
    Options
      I just put my cast iron on top of the porcelin and let it get hot. I have an XL with the half circle Cast iron. I pretty much just use it for steaks. ( the grid, not the egg) :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    I use my cast iiron grate as my primary grate. If I am doing a big cook the stock grate is stacked on firebricks to expand my cooking surface
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Now that I have the CI grate, I wish I had bought the 2 tier swing away offered by ... http://ceramicgrillworks.com/web-store/

Just more versatile IMHO

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    Options
    I use my cast iiron grate as my primary grate. If I am doing a big cook the stock grate is stacked on firebricks to expand my cooking surface

I do the same. the stock grate is much easier to remove and replace, but i like the consistency i get with the ci.

Greygoose

• Thanks boys.  All great information.  I very much appreciate it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have the stock porceline grate, a CI grate, and a stainless steel grate.  I use the stainless steel one 90% of the time.  I would definitely recommend the stainless one before the cast iron one for your primary one.  I like my CI one, but not as a do-it-all type of grate.
  • wolfsburg18
    Options

Now that I have the CI grate, I wish I had bought the 2 tier swing away offered by ... http://ceramicgrillworks.com/web-store/

Just more versatile IMHO

I just want to know does the center of the cast iron grate have the CeramicGrillworks.com cut into it or is it just plain?   Not sure why but something about having an advertisement grilled into my steaks and other food just bothers me.  There is enough advertising we are bombed with everyday, last i want to see it on my dinner.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The the advantage the Craycort grate has over the BGE grate is you have 4 sections that you can change out pieces on the fly or add smoking wood without having to lift half a hot grate.

There are griddles, wok grates, beer can chicken holders for the 24 inch grid. It's offer a pretty neat alternative to BGE's grate and the quality is top notch.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options

Just more versatile IMHO

I just want to know does the center of the cast iron grate have the CeramicGrillworks.com cut into it or is it just plain?   Not sure why but something about having an advertisement grilled into my steaks and other food just bothers me.  There is enough advertising we are bombed with everyday, last i want to see it on my dinner.

They do offer a plan version also. I've seen them. They don't show them on their website. I've had mine for awhile now it's so black and so nonstick, great product.