Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get more smoke out of a butt recommendations

Options
Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

Just finished a 9lb butt. Did a low and slow at 250 for 9 hours, then moved the beast to the crock pot to finish it and pulled it at 205 internal. Added a large soaked handfull of cherry chips and a large handfull of oak chips to the egg before putting the meat on.  I'm considering this a "textbook" smoke.

Butt came out nice and tender, but i would like to get a more smokey flavor to the meat. I dont have the bandwidth to continually try and add wood chips to the egg during this process. I'm considering maybe injecting with a small amount of liquid smoke before smoking, but dont really like the chemical taste that goes with it.

any suggestions......

Greygoose

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Egad!   .... not liquid smoke!  Smoke will only penetrate so far in a large piece of meat. Some folks cut roasts into smaller pieces which have two benefits, shorter cooking time and more surface area to collect smoke.

Just my 2¢

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I agree with Squeezy about cutting it into smaller pieces, if more smoke is your goal.  I don't do it as I'm not after more smoky flavor, but it should help a little.
    Also, I'd go with unsoaked chunks instead of chips.  Chunks will last longer.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    .... yes, chunks over chips for sure!  It's like the difference between ice cubes and block ice!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    Chunks and stage the cook for a lower temperature during the first stage of the cook. The longer the meat is cooler the longer it "takes" smoke, my humble opinion
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the longer meat is cold, the more smoke RING you get, sure.  but smoke FLAVOR has nothing to do with the smoke ring, or the temp of the meat.  smoke will flavor meat at any point during the cook.  you can add smoke only at the end, and you'd still have smoke flavor, just not a smoke ring.

chips and chunks make no difference (caveat: in an egg, that is, or other airtight system).  if you want a lot of smoke, throughout the cook, make sure your chips or chunks are where the fire will be. the  fire travels DOWN.  not outward, not in a spiral.  build the fire in 'lifts', or small batches of charcoal.  put some at the bottom on the grate. add chips or chunks. more charcoal, more wood.  do this three r four times til the bowl is filled.  after starting, and after the VOCs have blown off (bad smoke) add another chunk or bunch of chips and put the meat in.

if you want a good smoke ring (which has nothing [nothing, nada, zilch] to do with smoke flavor), make sure the meat goes in cold.  as long as it is under 140 at the surface (where the smoke ring forms in the first place) it'll form a smoke ring. 

the smoke, however, will flavor the meat as long as there is smoke.  how much is up to you.  sometimes there's too much, frankly. 

fwiw, smoke isn't absorbed at all. ever.  not beyond any microscopic level, anyway.  it is not possible to have smoke flavor penetrate any meat.  doesn't happen. your pork butt will never be smoky in the interior.

but when you pull it and mix it, the smokey surface will comingle with the rest of the meat.

back to chips/chunks.

give me two chunks that weigh 'x', and a pile of chips that weighs the same:  i hate to say it, but spreading those chips up and down in the middle in a column where the fire is, and where it travels, would give me as much (if not more) as thse two chunks weighing the same amount.  i have used both.  and i find the fire can sometimes leave the chunk behind.  whereas hedging my bets by adding smaller chips throughout (in the middle) has led to many a fire with long continuous wisps of smoke.  just one man's useless opinion

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    some advocate a damp surface, and yet some things, like smoked fish or ham (especially cold smoked) do better with a dry tacky pellicle for the surface.

the tiny differences between wet vs. dry surfaces on a pork butt are one thing.  but we can't extrapolate that to mean that a cold butt 'absorbs' more smoke than a warm one
  • stike
    Options
    i hook my pork up to a van de graaff generator running very slowly, continually pulling the ions in the smoke to the meat

the whole system needs to be grounded, and it's dangerous in the rain, but i have won many contests with it.  google "stike method van de graaff pork butt"
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    One way it to pull the meat and place in a pan, Return it to the egg and burn some wood. Greater surface to absord smoke. Another tip is to bbq the pulled meat. tomato paste based sauce absorbs smoke very well.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.