Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Cleaning

Options
snicker
snicker Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in Off Topic

Can anyone tell me how to rid the egg of creosote build up?

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    + 1... 

the first time I experienced it, it blew my mind... platesetter too.... it's very creepy...in a good way... if that's possible.
    context is important :)
  • snicker
    Options

I let it burn all night last night. Not a good idea. I checked it when I got home from work today. Now the lid is stuck shut because the creosote melted into the seal. I cannot get the lid open. I started a fire to try to warm it up enough to open the lid but it is not going all that well at the moment.

crap!

• LDD
    Options
    the fire should get it open. how hot did it get? is your gasket toast?  :(

• LDD
    edited October 2011
    Options

• snicker
    Options
    I was able to get a fire going  inside and warmed the lid enough to get it open. Yes the lid is toast but I have a replacement. Going to install it today. Thanks for all the help.
  • subnetyutter
    Options

I'm thinking I should have done this before I replaced my gasket a month ago.  I suppose the gasket will be ok if I only let it go an hour. 

Is there any harm in leaving the black gunk in there or does everyone do this just so it looks nice?

• Mrs Lenick
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too.  Tweev_Tip. What exactly do you mean when you say let it run for an hour wide open?  It sounds like you mean to just open the cast iron top wide open and it will burn everything off?  Should I put the plate setter in there as well?
  • Papalikes
    Options
    Will this also burn off the creosote that builds up on the daisy grate? Mine fused itself open during a long brisket smoke this weekend.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I run mine for 30 minutes at 750F and that seems to do the job has well!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Will this also burn off the creosote that builds up on the daisy grate? Mine fused itself open during a long brisket smoke this weekend.

Just put the daisy wheel directly on the coals ... it'l clean up great!

Apply vegetable oil after it cools and rub it in (keeps it from rusting)

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • hoppy
    hoppy Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

So if I'm reading all these posts correctly, I remove the daisy grate, place it directly on the coals, run the egg up to 750 F for a hour with the top closed, and all will be cleaned?

Can I open the top so that the gasket doesn't stick after the cleaning is completed?

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I don't know that I would run it that hot for an hour. Lots of cleaning will take place while getting it up to temp.

Maybe 15 to 20 minutes then close her down.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.