Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time adjustment for foil wrapped butt? (vs. unfoiled)

Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

cooked a unfoiled 9lb butt last week on the egg. turn out ok. low and slow 19 hours at 225.. i want to try the foil method to see if i can keep it a little more moist. plan on getting the internal temps to 165 before foiling and placing back on the egg. heres my question: how much quicker will this butt cook once it wrapped in foil? i pull the butt at 195. anyone know how much quicker this thing will get to 195 if i follow my same procedure above but foil the butt?

thanx

Greygoose

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Not likely much faster, but will be more moist. There is a growing concensus that you can achieve the same results by using a higher temp. such as 275º to about 300º. You will plow through the plateau a bit quicker.

After foiling you will achieve nothing in the egg unless it is hot outside, I'd transfer into an oven to finish and save the charcoal.

Hope that helps.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Greygoose
    edited October 2011

squeezy, do you pull the butt at 165 and and transfer to the oven? what oven temp do you cook at? how much quicker will the cook happen at 300?

thanx 

greygoose

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Yes anywhere near 160º is good ...oven should be about the same as you were cooking outside. Once foiled no flavor from the outside will enter, so like I said you might as well save the lump. Keep a thermometer probe in it and pull anywhere between 190º and 205º
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Greygoose

Has anyone ever tried finishing a butt in a crock pot (on low) vs. foiling and oven?