Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland or Nomex?

Options
Hogcrewer
Hogcrewer Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
So winter is almost here in Fairbanks.  Ive been throwing the idea up about replacing the gasket on my XL.  When it is -40 out, I want to keep all the heat in the BGE that I can.
Does anyone have pros and cons of the Rutland over the Nomex, or Nomex over the Rutland.
Is there any other kinds out there?  If so, how is there performance?
Just seeking some guidance.

Comments

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    I think you would be better off to compare Rutland vs Contronics. The Rutland is Superior to Nomex for high hear wear and tear. Nomex is better than the felt but no where near as heat resistant compared to the Rutland and Contronics gaskets.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    i didn't find one side was good enough for the nomex on my XL - may work fine on a large.  the self adhesive came off during my first cook - reapplied with 3m super 77 and it was fine for about a year.  i moved on to a rutland after that.

if you decide to go with nomex fred has a pretty good video on installing it on his website.  http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Been very happy with the Rutland on my XL.  $13 for the gasket, $6 for the Permatex Ultra Copper and it should last a very long time...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    I think the Naked Whiz has some excellent articles on gasket options for your egg. I think you should be able to find the information your looking for on his site including installation directions.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I am very happy with my rutland!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you aren't doing pizzas the Nomex is fine. The Nomex has issues with high heat over an extended period of time like when you keep the egg at 700 for 30 minutes to warm up the stone. I have had Nomex last several high heat cooks but it eventually gets them. I have a large with no gasket for high heat and a large with a Nomex for low and slows and the Nomex has held up fine. If you plan on doing pizzas do ahead and get the Rutland.
  • Hogcrewer
    Options
    Cotronics 395 is self adhesive.  The only draw backs is you need a minimum order of $75.00.  Plus shipping up here to Alaska is through the roof.  Im thinking about buying a couple of Cotronics, and sell the rest.
    Cotronics customer support/sales was outstanding this morning.  They answered all of my questions and gave me options for shipping.

For those of you that have or are using Cotronics, is there any shrinkage like the Nomex?
  • Shawn
    Options
    you can get the 5/8" rutland for $10.00 at your local Rona and at any fireplace dealer if in canada and the Pentax Copper Gasket for $6.00 at your local Walmart.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    I don't think the Adhesive backed gaskets are a great idea. They are easier to install but many people have posted complaints about the adhesive coming lose within months of installing the gasket.

I would think you'd be better off using a separate adhesive.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    I put a Rutland on back in January..its held up fine...GL
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

What is the actual length needed for a large egg?

In all the posts I've read, I hadn't seen that.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not sure who you are talking to squeezy but this is what you need to do a large. You need the tape not the rope and make sure you read about the install on the naked whiz site (Thanks RRP) because you don't just lay it on you have to push it back and kind of bunch it up or it's not thick enough to seal completly. http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Tape-95-6/dp/B000MIPB6S/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1319030905&sr=8-10 . As far as the coltronics self adhesive if you call the company they don't recommend the self adhesive for the egg it will not stick according to the engineer I spoke to. They said to get their regular tape and use 3m super 77.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    Options

What is the actual length needed for a large egg?

In all the posts I've read, I hadn't seen that.

You'll need about 7 feet for the Large, 9 feet for the XL (depending how much you "bunch" it).  Make sure you get the "flat", not the "rope".  Use Permatex Ultra Copper to "glue" it on.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    If anyone is willing to go in on a group buy or something for Cotronics 395, I'm in. I'm in Canada so the shipping charge to here is quite pricey. Canadian group buy??

I really need to change my gasket soon, there isn't much left and winter is coming. I was considering Rutland as a last result only because it's easily available here. I mostly concerned about the warning from Rutland it's not recommended to use it in the egg and because of the vapors it can give out at high heat.
  • Squeezy
    edited October 2011
    Options

• Squeezy
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If anyone is willing to go in on a group buy or something for Cotronics 395, I'm in. I'm in Canada so the shipping charge to here is quite pricey. Canadian group buy??

I really need to change my gasket soon, there isn't much left and winter is coming. I was considering Rutland as a last result only because it's easily available here. I mostly concerned about the warning from Rutland it's not recommended to use it in the egg and because of the vapors it can give out at high heat.

I'm also in Canada and even though I'm not in need of a gasket at this time, I am with you on a group buy. Can you give me an idea of cost? Perhaps you could start another 'thread" on this..... to target us Kenuckians that may want one ...

It may attract more ...

• Jasper
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I sent them an email asking for a price. Their reply below:

Your assumption would be incorrect; the adhesive backing on the 397-81PS and the 395-81PS is meant more to hold the material in place while you use a high temperature sealant to do the job.  The adhesive backing will melt off at around 250°-300°F, and is inadequate for your use.

Most of the customers who inquire about fixing the Big Green Egg have had success using our standard 395-81 ($39.55) and our 907GF adhesive (the 907GF-1 is priced at $38.95).

Please keep in mind that orders to Canada are subject to a $25 Canadian Foreign Handling fee.  We do not quote shipping, but can ship these items to you via UPS ground.

Seems a bit pricey, even for a group buy, especially when each person in the buy would need the adhesive.
  • Shawn
    Options
    Rona in canada has the rutland kits for $11 and walmart has the pantex copper gasket maker for $6 which you use for the adhesive.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited October 2011
    Options
    jasper, the rutland doesn't give off any vapors at high heat.  it's not been tested for use around food, that's all.  being fiberglass, some have assumed the fibers could get into food.  again, though, that hasn't been tested.

i don't know if the coltronics has been tested either.  and it's ceramic fiber (rutland is glass fiber).

i don't understand how some can dismiss the rutland as dangerous (being friable fiber), whiule the coltronic is a similar fiber too.

b/t/w, none of the concern is that there is poison in the gasket, it's that small fibers could be inhaled and cause irritation or, if you ask some folks, a long lingering painful death by asbestosis or pneumonia.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squeezy
    Options
    I sent them an email asking for a price. Their reply below:

Your assumption would be incorrect; the adhesive backing on the 397-81PS and the 395-81PS is meant more to hold the material in place while you use a high temperature sealant to do the job.  The adhesive backing will melt off at around 250°-300°F, and is inadequate for your use.

Most of the customers who inquire about fixing the Big Green Egg have had success using our standard 395-81 ($39.55) and our 907GF adhesive (the 907GF-1 is priced at $38.95).

Please keep in mind that orders to Canada are subject to a $25 Canadian Foreign Handling fee.  We do not quote shipping, but can ship these items to you via UPS ground.

Seems a bit pricey, even for a group buy, especially when each person in the buy would need the adhesive.

Sounds rediculous " a foreign handling fee" ... that says to me, that they can't be bothered with us, but if we insist ... get your wallet out.

I'm out!

• Squeezy
    Options
    jasper, the rutland doesn't give off any vapors at high heat.  it's not been tested for use around food, that's all.  being fiberglass, some have assumed the fibers could get into food.  again, though, that hasn't been tested.

i don't know if the coltronics has been tested either.  and it's ceramic fiber (rutland is glass fiber).

i don't understand how some can dismiss the rutland as dangerous (being friable fiber), whiule the coltronic is a similar fiber too.

b/t/w, none of the concern is that there is poison in the gasket, it's that small fibers could be inhaled and cause irritation or, if you ask some folks, a long lingering painful death by asbestosis or pneumonia.

How much fiber is going to be liberated to find it's way into our food and lungs .... really?
  • Squeezy
    Options

After all this debate ... juat what is the best gasket as pertains to longevity and cost?

I'd also like to more about that I believe it was liquid copper or something?

• Jasper
    Options
    The Rutland kit for 11 bucks is looking pretty good for me.
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    Options
    Squeezy check out this link about the copper gasket. I am thinking about this myself.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    What about the high-q gasket?
  • Jasper
    Options
  • Garlic
    Options
    Just looked at the high que gasket for the XL, looks like an easy install. Has anybody tried it? How long does it last and will it actually stand up to searing steaks at 650-700 deg f?
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Just looked at the high que gasket for the XL, looks like an easy install. Has anybody tried it? How long does it last and will it actually stand up to searing steaks at 650-700 deg f?
    What is the high que gasket?
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Squeezy check out this link about the copper gasket. I am thinking about this myself.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/permatex.htm

I looked that over yesterday and it looks like it could get messy ... also although Canadian Tire has many Permatex products, they didn't have this one listed ...
  • Garlic
    Options
    Squeezy, Try this link to the high que gasket. http://www.high-que.com/b/2991138011