Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

mold

relaxerrelaxer Posts: 1
edited 8:28AM in Off Topic
went to use my egg the other day and i notice i have mold growing on the inside, what can i do to get rid of problem and not to have this happen again

Comments

  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,885
    light it and run it more often, it easily burns off.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Fire that sucker up to about 600-700 degrees for 30 minutes...no more mold and a good temp to throw on a steak...2 problems solved...mold & hunger... :)
  • Fire up the egg more often- it keeps that mold away.
  • grillmandangrillmandan Posts: 270
    hi temp burn...and use the egg more often!
  • OblioOblio Posts: 53
    Only gone for 10 days and mold on ceramics and my new AR from CGS :( Must have been humid this last week, maybe the cover was a bad idea... Did a burn off and about to cook flat iron steak and a wok session after that ... if the rain holds off.
  • I'm so glad I found this thread, even though it is old. I found the same thing today when I opened the EGG and I was really surprised. I thought I did something wrong that caused it and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did the right thing to clean it out.  Once the mold was burned away and I'd scraped the grill, I threw on a beautiful ribeye and some fresh asparagas spears. Delish.

  • VolfoVolfo Posts: 31
    I have same problem.  Have egg at small cabin and this time of year don't get there too often.  Last two times, tons of mold when I opened it.  Really gross.  I scraped some off and burned it at 400 plus for an hour, and figured it was fine, but would like to avoid it.  I've been closing vent, using rain cap, and covering.  This time, I covered and left daisy wheel open and vent open.  I'm hoping that helps some.  Any other ideas?
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    Give it to me ... I'll use it more often ...  :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Fire that sucker up to about 600-700 degrees for 30 minutes...no more mold and a good temp to throw on a steak...2 problems solved...mold & hunger... :)
    Bonus! 
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.