Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Composite Egg Shelves - Any advice or experience?

Options
Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
edited October 2011 in Off Topic
Anybody have any experience or feedback on the composit shelves? (photo attached).  I'm moving my BGE off my deck due to townhome association so I'll lose my usual table for setting things down.  I know the shelves are more expensive than the eggmates, but i like the additional front shelf.  Any feedback or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    I have a front shelf. Still sitting in the box. My egg is 15 years old and the band is getting a little rusty. I am afraid to take it off since everything is working so well. The shelf itself is very sturdy. Would not worry, it's nice that it also folds down if space is an issue. good luck, I haven't posted for quite some time, will be getting back in the swing of things. Hope I know how to use this new forum. YOI
  • alabamaegger
    Options
    Hey Elmer,
    I pondered this same predicament. I decided not to mess with a good thing just like Steeler Fan did.  My egg is working good with a good seal and no escaping smoke.  So, I decided to build a small folding bbq table that I sit next to my XL and it handles the holding responsibilities quite well. Cost me about 50 bucks to build.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. Good insights regarding the seal - something to consider Unfortunately I will need some pretty good mobility to move the bge from the garage to the front door (in the MN winter) when I cook and having either egg mates or the composit shelves will help.

Thanks again, nothing like some nice filets to make up for my Vikings this afternoon. Happy grilling!

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini