Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket

abarkley
abarkley Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so i got my new gasket installed and put the bands back on the Egg. Everything lines up and the gaskets are flush, but when I open the egg and shut it i get a gap in the back and the dome moves about 1/4 of an inch backwards from where it was. I've taken the dome off about 10 times and tried to loosen and tighten the bolts that attach the spring assembly to the bands and still get the same result every time I reassemble it. Does anyone have any suggestions or will i need to get a new set of bands?

Comments

• Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    I had the same problem today when I changed my gaskets to the white ones that the mother ship sent. They seem to be thicker than the original felt ones.
    What I did was raise the bottom band to get the hinges to line up, I removed the springs and lossened everything raised the band and then check the hinge alignment. Once I got everything in position i tightened it all and then put the springs back on then did the dollar bill test to make sure I had it correct.
  • Garlic
    Anybody have any ideas, I just did my first cook after installing the white bge gasket using the 3M 77 adhesive and it started to fall off after 2 hours at 450 deg f. It looked like the glue melted. I sprayed the glue into a cup and used a paint brush to spread the glue about 6 inches at a time waited until it got tacky and applied the gasket and spread another 6 inches.
    I used a scraper and a wire brush with denatured alcohol to remove the glue from the original felt gasket. I thought about going gasket less as some have done. But the lid on my XL does not fit that well. After the gasket came off I finished the pizza's I was doing then shut the air vent and the put the rain cap on. After 3 hours I was still at 350 deg loosened the hinges to remove the gap in the back and the fire still does not want to go out as fast as it used to with the gasket in place.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Did you wait 24 hours after replacing the gasket? I have a large, and the fire seems to snuff out faster with the white bge (Nomex) than with the original wool gasket. As for the glue, I sprayed it on and waited 24 hours before using the egg. So far, I'm happy. I just don't understand why the white gasket isn't standard Install.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Garlic
    I waited 7 days with the lid down. From what I could tell the glue was dry.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Garlic ... did you put any glue on the gasket itself? According to the video from http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ glue needs to be on both.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Garlic
    No I did not guess that could have caused it. What about using the permatex as the adhesive for the bge white gasket. Any thoughts on that?
  • Squeezy

I have no experience with any of the Permatex products ... such as which on to use and what is the best way to use it on a BGE?

More research is needed  ... sigh!

• Garlic
    edited October 2011
    Squeezy, just did a quick search the adhesive that everybody uses with the rutland gasket is permatex ultra copper. I am willing to try it. The results can't be any more frustrating than what has already happened.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Rutland with Permatex Ultra Copper.  It's proven to work time after time, year after year.   Trust me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

The tecnique of gluing you refer to is called "Buttering"....applying glue to both pieces. I don't know why but it works. It is also used in setting tile.

I am semi gasketless(top only). I plan to do a permatex only soon.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Squeezy

Talked to an egger today that has had his egg for 3½ yrs. and is still on the original felt gasket!

Go figure?

• Squeezy
    No ... he does pizza regularly at about 550º
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    @garlic... fwiw, i tore off my gasket, squirted the permatex loosely, troweled nothing, and squished the rutland into it.  four years later there's absolutely no issue.  secure as from day

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    The gasket thing is a bit of a disappointment on the egg. Mine is burnt. They are sending me a new nomex one. What is disappointing about it is that they say it its operator error even though I followed the instructions in the manual. other than that they have always been very helpful and at least they are replacing it. We should not however, have to do this on like new eggs!!! They are built to cook low or high, we shouldn't have to worry about it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • My gasket toasted after about 3 months (make pizzas weekly). Went gasket-less for a few weeks,  but it was sucking too much air through the gap.  Ordered a Rutland gasket through Amazon that was in a kit that came with adhesive.  Put the Rutland on a couple of weeks ago and am extremely happy.  Made a significant difference in holding temps. When it was sucking air I could hold temps lower than about 300,  now it has held at ~230.

I wanted to use the adhesive that came in the Rutland kit as it is supposed to be good for up to 2000 (as opposed to 700 for the Permatex Gold).  The kit I got must have been old as the adhesive was almost chunky coming out of the tube.  Made a quick trip to Autozone to pick up the Permatex.  It has only been a few weeks,  but very happy with the Rutland gasket.
  • stike
    the rutland adhesive is water based, and the ceramic can wick that moisture out as it cures.  eventually, as did mine, the rutland adhesive can pull clean off the egg.  it's designed for adhering to metal, where water won't wick out of the cement before it sets.

i tried a couple times with the rutland cement, and then said 'screw it'. i used the same gasket, with the rutland cement still attached to it, and reapplied it with the permatex.

it may be rated to 'only' 700.  but it never sees 700 anyway.  the rim and ceramic under it does not hit 700
  • Good points Stike.  Sounds like I'm glad the Rutland stuff was old.
  • Am I understanding you guys correctly that BGE sent you a new gasket as part of your warranty? I scorched mine on the second use and while I fully understand how it happened getting to high temps cooking steak, I did so by precisely following the directions on their own website for cooking the steak. I was going to find a place to buy one but if that is a warranty issue or something you can get them to replace I'd obviously prefer that and feel justified since I used it exactly as instructed!
  • Most definitely. Call up your dealer or BGE and get your new gasket.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    The Rutland Adhesive is designed to attach to steel which is why I constructed a steel ring to attach the gasket to. I've lost count of the number of high heat cooks I've done but its holding up fine...plus when I need to do a clean burn ...I just lift the ring off with the gasket and set it aside....GL

• The Rutland Adhesive is designed to attach to steel which is why I constructed a steel ring to attach the gasket to. I've lost count of the number of high heat cooks I've done but its holding up fine...plus when I need to do a clean burn ...I just lift the ring off with the gasket and set it aside....GL

Very interesting idea.  I wouldn't have the know-how to make something like that, but that's pretty cool.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    almost literally belt and suspenders tho.  and isn't there a space under the steel?

permatex and be done with it. 
  • 55drum
    isn't there a space under the steel?

No...the steel ring is very flexible...the weight of the lid is more than enough to seal everything up...I've made two more for my BIL's XL...they are working fine.

ChokeOnSmoke....how do you post quotes..I can't find the button.....thanks
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011

Just hit the word "Quote" next to the person's name that you want to quote.
    It will put that persons post in blue in your post.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 55drum
    edited November 2011
    isn't there a space under the steel?

No...the steel ring is very flexible...the weight of the lid 

Just hit the word "Quote" next to the person's name that you want to quote.
    It will put that persons post in blue in your post.

Thanks....for some reason I thought it should be in this area like most other forums....