Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5-Hour Recommendation

The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,

On launch day, I want to get something started around 7:00am and have it be ready around noon.  I want something cooking when potential EGGheads arrive, and I want them to be able to sample when it's done.

Any suggestions on what I should toss on, and at what temp I should cook it?

Thanks!

Sarge
Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Baby backs take about 5 hours. There are many different methods but I do a 3-1-1. Pull the back membrane, rub them lightly with mustard and then hit them with your favorite rub, cook 3 hours that way and then wrap in foil and cook another hour, and then unwrap and cook another hour. The temp is 250 dome the whole time. I usually spray every hour with 70/30 apple juice apple cider vinegar and then spray them down really good when I wrap them. I take the drippings from when I wrap them and mix in a little of your favorite BBQ sauce so the mix is still runny and brush that on them and then give them a quick sear (a minute or 2 a side at like 500) with the plate setter out to brown them a little.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    5 hours has ribs written all over it.  But I like Tweev's idea of Pulled Pork - it goes a long way and can be held and served all day.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I like the ribs idea too, but you will need prep time and EGG prep time to add in there.  Just have to bump your temps a bit.  Foiling would be good too. 

Smoked salmon is great.  Easily done in that time as well.
  • i would prep a bunch of abts light around 2 hours before serving stabilize temps around 300-350 then put a bunch of thighs on - a lot of eggs have been sold with chicken.  light coat of sweet baby rays about ten minutes before you pull them off.  boneless, skinless will work but i like the whole thigh.  put the abts on as you take off the thighs.  have plenty paper towels ready.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an ABT?
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    It's a stuffed jalapeño wrapped in bacon. Atomic buffalo turd
    context is important :)
  • Just read this about ABTs - Click Me - and yes, I WILL be making these!!!

Thanks!!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Make pulled pork the day before and jack up some ABT. 

Seriously, those things made right are better than crack.

... and now do you know that?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • DominicMagestic
    DominicMagestic Posts: 110
    edited October 2011
    if the launch is fairly soon and you don't have a lot of eggsperience with your new egg, I would keep it simple.  i wouldn't do ribs for a demo/launch if you haven't done them before.  ribs would be eggcelent if you have done them a couple times.  pulled pork with the trimmings, slaw and sauce on some hawaiian rolls as pulled pork sliders, eggcelent as well.  abts are da bomb - chicken sells eggs and simple.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • I've been reading the heck out of this forum, and watching all sorts of YouTube videos.  Can't wait to dig in!

I'll be taking one of these things home to use for a week or two before we have our EGGstravaganza.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

You will buy it and it will not leave your house again...I predict.

PS I got ribs on right now. Burgers last night, thighs the night before and boston butt on Friday. (I worked sat and sun)

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.