Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg table questions?

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a large egg and am in the process of building my table. I am thinking of placing the egg in the center of two cabinets with doors. The egg would be in the center with the rear and both sides covered and open in the front. I have seen some built like this but was wondering about heat issues with only the front open???? Also I am trying to decide whether to place the egg on a paving stone only (16 x16 approximately 2 inches thick) or with the three egg feet on top of the paver?? I would rather not use the feet if I can get away with it?? Also does anyone know the perfect dimension to keep the egg as low as possible in the table and still have room for the spring assisted hing to open. I am thinking around 16.5 inches from the bottom shelf to the table top before adding the 2 inch paver???? Thanks in advance for any hints or advice...
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

Naked Whiz has some info. Avoid paver stones and use feet and Fire Bricks.

Suport them with 2x4s on edge under the bricks.(less wood to brick contact allows heat to disapate).

I would use an open top rather than a round hole. I have found I don't use the space right beside the egg.

I have a round hole and paver stone with feet. It is OK but could be better.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Gato
    Options
    Yeah, I have looked at quite a few places for info including the naked whiz site. Not really crazy about the look of the fire bricks. But the main thing is not to burn down my table either. What about the egg only being open in the front, any issues with heat inside the cabinet??
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    I was just on the Naked Whiz's site again and found the fire brick article you mentioned.  I was thinking of another pic I seen with the firebricks on top.  The article with the 2x4  spaced apart with firebrick and the feet seems like a great idea. Looks good too! Thanks
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    There are a lot of pics like you descibe on his table page. I don't think you would have a problem.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.