Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs help

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read posts going back a few months on all the chicken thigh cooks and looked at the pics--they look great. So I have a bunch of thighs. Bone-in, skin on. The challenge is that I don't want to cook them for five hours. I'll be lighting the lump at around 5:30 and would like to eat at around 8. If I cook them at a higher temp, can I still get meat that isn't dried out and (please) a nice crispy skin?[p]I'm thinking raised grid, direct at about 275 - 300. Will that work?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Trouble,
    i did some just the other night that way. . .direct on raised grid . ..try to stay in the 250 - 275 range till near the end, then put them skin down and let the temps go up a bit to get the skin the way you like it, then turn them back to skin up, sauce em, close the vents till they are completely done.. .won't take much more than an hour or so depending on the size of the thize (heee, i like that, size of the thize). .. .

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Size of the thize--good. My thize are of modest size--very good.[p]Thanks, as always, for the info and the grins.[p]Joyce

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Trouble,
    I just did some the other day direct elevated grid at 350 with a chunk of guava wood. Came out great.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Don't be afeared o' dem thighs, Joyce. They are almost impossible to screw up. That's why they are the most popular choice for competition cooks. It would take a heapin' helpin' of inattention to dry out chicken thighs on an Egg.[p]Enjoy!
    Jim[p]

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Trouble,[p]Just did a bunch of thighs last night. Peeled back the skin. Rubbed them with DP Swamp Venom. Replaced the skin and rubbed a bit more on. Cooked direct (no raised grid) at about 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Flipped them two or three times and moved them around. (My egg is hottest at back center.) Sauced them with about 10 minutes to go. Fantastic. [p]I agree with others. It's hard to mess up thighs![p]Have fun![p]Paul

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Jim...[p]You need to tell that to the two judges who gave us 5s for tenderness this past weekend in Huntsville. The others were all 8 & 9s....go figure.
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • JSlot
    I feel your pain, Kevin. Those wild card scores can really mess you up. Still, you did well for your first time out of the block. Hope to see you guys out there soon![p]Jim
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Thanks Jim...I was figuring out the scores, and they were two 6s not 5s, but if one had been a 7 in Tenderness, we would have been 7th. Man sooooo close. I think I might rename the team to "One More Point". Oh well, We are still pumped for a first time and now we know what we need to do. We too would love to see y'all out there too! Maybe one day....
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • JSlot
    Yeah, that one lousy point thing will drive you nuts if you think about it too much. LOL. If things go well, we will probably do Huntsville next year. We've been neighbors with Blindog at a couple of contests and we've had some fun together. I didn't realize he organized this year's event or we would have tried to make it. It's definitely on the tentative list for next year. Good luck next time out, Kev![p]Jim