Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting procedures

docbipe
docbipe Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The first time I fired up I used wax fire starters I got from the dealer. Came up pretty quickly. The next few starts, I used the same everything, and it took 20 min or so to come up. I keep the ashes and holes clean, just so you all know. It has been really humid lately in Ohio, and I suspect this to be the culprit. When I was using my old Charbroil and fired using the chimney, I got some disappointing results sometimes also. The lump is Cowboy, my favorite for my tastes.
What I am wondering about is getting an electric starter. The vids I have watched seem promising and quick, not to mention the lack of sooty smoke withe the wax blocks.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Doc, I used several brands of starter and had success with them all. But, sometimes weekday cooks have to begin quickly becasue I don't get home so early. Accordingly, I went to using a weedburner and propane tank that takes about a 15-20 second blast to get the lump rollin. Easy as pie and assists in curing some coal dampness if any is lurking in the pile. After a coupl'a months use, it may not be the only way to go...but it's what works for me.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I have the electric starter and couldn't be happier. It lights the lump quickly, usually 5 mins is all it takes to have a good fire going with it. Of course, I have only been egging for a few weeks, but that is my take based on my own experience with it.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I use a BernzOmatic Mapp Torch with an extension hose. I have used an electric starter, fire starters, and a weedburner, but IMO the BernzOmatic Mapp Torch is the best. Very fast and easy to control. I love the Mapp gas.

You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon,....anywhere really.
  • rakerb
    rakerb Posts: 4
    I have used all the above methods, and the electric starter is my choice. If I am doing a low and slow, I use a starter cube to minimize the size of the fire to avoid over-shooting my cooking temps. If you are in a big hurry the weed burner gets things going faster, the MAP gas takes a minute or more than the weed burner and costs a bit more in fuel.

:)
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    The MAPP fuel is cheap (under $10) and lasts a long, long time. I noticed no difference in speed between the MAPP torch and the weedburner. Plus it is easy to catch the temp while it is going up on any of these methods. That is on the cook. :)
  • I use rubbing alcohol 90%
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Electric starters rule! 8 minutes and you're up and running. Don't worry about whether your Dad or Grandpa used one, they're still cool! B)
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DodgerMi
    DodgerMi Posts: 5
    I use alcohol too, keep a chunk of charcoal soaking in it in a coffee mate jar.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I just use the wax staters from the egg people. I use one and it starts every time just fine. After reading different posts I moved the one cube to off center just to eliminate the chance of it burning straight thru. I have done both slo long cooks and high temp pizza. Works great for me I have been thinking about trying the alcohol technique but the little wax cubes work good..
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I was getting by just fine using paper towels lightly soaked in cooking oil...

...but I got the Bernzo mapp torch because I wanted a new toy. I didn't get the extension, just the torch. I already had some welders gloves and I just wear one if things get sparky. It is very nice for a quick start.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    I have used electric starters, they work well, had to replace it 2-3 times a year
    I like the oil and paper towel, fairly fast, although not as fast as a weedburner or MAPP torch, but I always have veg oil and paper towels on hand, also the economical factor is I save my used oil for starting,works for me
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    fire egger wrote:
    I have used electric starters, they work well, had to replace it 2-3 times a year

I assume booze had something to do with this! :laugh:

I'm on my second one. My first one lasted for years until I got drunk and let the whole unit start on fire while over at the neighbors house drinking. I'm guessing they would last for many years if pulled in 8 minutes like instructed.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I am currently using the chimney method - low/slow and high temp cooks. I always have a stack of paper around... maybe one of these days I will try the MAPP method.
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    I have a box of starters, but I always use the paper towel and oil method. Works perfect for me.
  • docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    I have since tried and love the electric. The problem lies in the grate or whatever you call it. Mine is ceramic with small holes. I am going to get a more 'traditional cast iron.
  • Anyone try the old fashioned way? Rubbing two sticks together?  :)
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I use an oxy-acetelene torch. I found the MAPP was way to cool of a fire.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I pulled out an old LP tank with torch tip used for plumbing (soldering copper pipes) that had been laying in my toolbox ... quick, clean, & fast!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Hand held BernzOmatic MAPP  torch for me, works in seconds, you only need one hand. Well 2 hands, one for the beer and one for the torch.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    edited October 2011

I use an oxy-acetelene torch. I found the MAPP was way to cool of a fire.

just kidding...I use  electric starter but keep those wax blocks in case the power is out.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

lol

MAPP here.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • OK with the 99% Isopropyl --- do you soak a few coals and lite them, or do you spread it round and light it all?

• I use the bbq guru golf club and mapp gas, works great.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max