Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Baby Back Ribs This Past Weekend

davejames0426
davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

I have been a BGE owner for just over a month and have tried many different cooks with great luck so far. Baby back ribs from Sam's Club were this past weekend, they were just OK for me but first try. Cooked indirect with platestter - drip pan in place for 3 hours at 250, wrapped in foil with some brown sugar and apple juice and cooked 2 more hours at 250. Removed from foil and placed on grate still indirect at 250 for about another 30 minutes.

My guest raved over them and they were very tender but I think I got carried away with the rub - plus I rubbed 24 hours in advance. Have read since then that rubbing ribs only a few hours before the cook is better.

Any suggestions?

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I rub all meats right before I put them on.  I've tried different lengths of time over the years and I can't tell any difference, so I find it easier to just do it right before I put it on.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would have to say only cook them wrapped for 1 hour than extend the last unwrapped portion to 1 hour. I always do a 3-1-1 now. 2 hours wrapped they are supper tender but most likely over done where the whole thing will pull off the bone not just the bite you want to pull off the bone. Everyone has their own way just experiment with it. Did you spray them at all? I use like a 70/30 apple juice apple cider vinegar solution to spray them with every hour and then I put a decent amount of this in the foil when I wrap then. When I unwrap them I use the left overs in the foil as the base for my sauce.
  • I would have to say only cook them wrapped for 1 hour than extend the last unwrapped portion to 1 hour. I always do a 3-1-1 now. 2 hours wrapped they are supper tender but most likely over done where the whole thing will pull off the bone not just the bite you want to pull off the bone. Everyone has their own way just experiment with it. Did you spray them at all? I use like a 70/30 apple juice apple cider vinegar solution to spray them with every hour and then I put a decent amount of this in the foil when I wrap then. When I unwrap them I use the left overs in the foil as the base for my sauce.

Lit - I did not spray them as they were cooking but I wiil try your suggestions next time, testing and improving.... Thanks...
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • I rub all meats right before I put them on.  I've tried different lengths of time over the years and I can't tell any difference, so I find it easier to just do it right before I put it on.

I am finding this to be true also - thanks for the comments.

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    edited October 2011
    I rub all meats right before I put them on.  I've tried different lengths of time over the years and I can't tell any difference, so I find it easier to just do it right before I put it on.

I am finding this to be true also - thanks for the comments.

I used to brine and rub a day or two before as well. But it just added more work and time. Not really an improvement in taste. Now I just rub a couple hours before I put them on.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • I have been a BGE owner for just over a month and have tried many different cooks with great luck so far. Baby back ribs from Sam's Club were this past weekend, they were just OK for me but first try. Cooked indirect with platestter - drip pan in place for 3 hours at 250, wrapped in foil with some brown sugar and apple juice and cooked 2 more hours at 250. Removed from foil and placed on grate still indirect at 250 for about another 30 minutes.

My guest raved over them and they were very tender but I think I got carried away with the rub - plus I rubbed 24 hours in advance. Have read since then that rubbing ribs only a few hours before the cook is better.

Any suggestions?

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have noticed that quite a few cooks spray the ribs with vinegar and apple juice - does it matter what you spray them with or just the fact that they are sprayed? I have been using Coke and haven't gotten the nerve to use vinegar.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I apply the rub immediately before putting them on the EGG.  Simple as that.  I can't plan ahead and can't bother to do them days in advance and not sure it would help.  I also add honey in my juice and sugar.  Yum. 

Sounds like you are ahead of the curve. 
  • Lately, I've been cooking several racks. I will put my favorite sauce on and finish over direct fire.  The uneaten racks are frozen.  When I'm ready for ribs, I thaw and finish with sauce over direct heat.

mmmmmmm

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Cider vinegar and apple j will give you nothing to fear ... honest!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.