Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shredded Pork ala The Green Egg and I

Options
BuBaQlishus
BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Check out this recipe after years of trials and errors to deliver a moist pork flavored through and through...your comments are encouraged
 http://thegreeneggandi.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/shredded-bbq-pork/

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

It might have been a typo. Or maybe he left off that he foiled at 160 and let it go longer. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BuBaQlishus
    Options
    I take it off at 160 and let it sit well wrapped for atleast another hour plus where it continues to cook and drawing juices back into meat it shreds easy as noted by picks clean of fat....pics don't lie....ye of little faith....
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    comments - agree with t_t

your write up says to rub and store in fridge overnight.  if your rub contains any amounts of salt you will end up with more of a hammy flavour which is okay if that is what you like.  i rub right before going on the egg.

you say you soak your chips - not necessary on a bge but do it if you like

you are cooking at 200-225.  if you mean 200-225 dome temp you will have a grate temp of +/- 180-200 - too low.  go to 250-275 dome in order to reach pulling temps.

taking the butts off at 160 and resting for an hour will make some nice sliced pork or chunked pork - i looked at the pics - nice chunked pork but not pulled pork.  take the butts to 195-200, rest, then pull.  i didn't see a bone (maybe they were boneless) when you can give the bone a good wiggle and it comes out clean, your done.

just my opinion
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • BuBaQlishus
    BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Not sure what picture you are looking at but the one with a mound of shredded pork that was pulled apart looks like pulled pork to me and others who have commented...The layering of fat on a but or shoulder restricts the rub from penetrating quickly which is why I apply it in advance. I have found that this along with injecting my spice mix provides for a real smoked pork taste throughout the butt and not just around the surface meat and does not rely on the sauce to the carry day. A quick coating on and in the cooker falls short for me in bringing out the flavor. Not sure what you mean about salt turning pork into a ham flavor if left on for awhile. I have not had that as an issue just as brining a Turkey per say doesn't alter its flavor only enhances it which is what I find to be true with my pork. Wiggling a bone and having the meat fall off is too done for my taste and the same applys for ribs. Pork is technically well done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160 by wrapping it and letting it rest I am allowing it to cook further among other benefits as previously mentioned, which for one allows the pork to be pulled more easily without over cooking....
    We agree to disagree...too bad we can't do a throw down!....thanks for the comments they are always helpfull and I know many follow your thoughts and I have been there but feel am now at a better place for all around flavor of just the pork without mopping or BBQ sauce.
    Cheers!
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    Been there done that...try my method I think you will like the results especially when you can skip all the sauce..LOL!
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    Ok let's try this...Here is a temp chart I googled for Pork http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

It says 160 degrees for medium to well done for shoulders, butts, roasts, ribs, etc depending on cut..160 or so then wrapped to allow to cook more as stated in my post is not under cooked..maybe 40 degrees above that... is over cooked! give that a moment to sink in.... either way my years of experience, having been a meat cutter and high end caterer has helped me to better understand how to deliver great flavor while enhancing the texture of the meat and preserving its moistness...hope this helps

• BuBaQlishus
    Options
    I am probably around 180-185, no more when I pull it and I am good with that maybe you all will come around when you run out of BBQ Sauce some day..;)
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    Whoa, just a little tonque and cheek here sorry to have touched a button...I was a high end caterer because we were good at what we delivered and could charge accordingly...cooking is all about prference there is no right way or wrong way in my book but the reference to undercooked white trashy mess suggested you might be a bit misinformed not to mention taking the discussion to another level of lesser quality...so hopefully now you can rest a bit easier and would recommend slightly adjusting your meds and lowering your temp...no pun inteneded.
    Cheers!!
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    You mean the original forum..I do post there as well have for a number of years now nice bunch but thanks for the tip...remember to take deep breaths....
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    Thankfully I am not dealing with someone who is arrogant and appreciate your giving me a pass. My blog said 160 or SO and that I rested it for atleast and hour to two continuing the cooking process...all in all 180 to 185 is more accurate for what I was achieving. I should have a better stated that as and achieved end temp range. I defend the lower end of the range and certainly not up at 200 or more, but  always implyed that's me and my preference....all in all this has been beaten to death
  • DominicMagestic
    DominicMagestic Posts: 110
    edited September 2011
    Options
    if you are happy at pulling at 160 and costing to 180-185 in foil for an hour, i'm happy.  doubtful you can get a 20-25 degree carryover though especially when you are approaching the plateau when the temp increases stalls.

but you are not taking it through the plateau where the magic happens - break down of collagen and connective tissue or some other techie speak that i'm not interested in.

when i cook pork that i don't want to take to pulling temps, (like chops or loins) i stop just before 140 and let it coast to 140 or a little beyond.  my book says stop at 140 or go to 190-200

i also brine poultry as well as a thick pork chop. 

your rub must not have little or no salt - salt will start the curing process.

try not soaking your chunks or chips - you will be fine

i noticed you posted on that other site with similar response.

if you got em smoke em and smoke em like you like em   :)>-
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat