Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Cleaning

Tired Jim
Tired Jim Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question: Does everyone clean their grills from time to time or do you just scrape most of it off and cook on it?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Tired Jim,
    I clean mine fairly frequently, not wanting burnt pork bits on the chicken, etc.[p]Ken

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Tired Jim,
    some folks have found some really great cleaning stuff. I'm sure they'll chime in. [p]Mostly I scrape and go. Or I let the dog do it. I heat it up pretty high pretty often so there's not much buildup. And I feel better about dog germs if I've had the grid at 600* for a while.[p]Stay back, Stump, I can see your eyes popping out of your large cranium all the way from here. Yup, this thread might have a lot of good fodder for you, but BACK, I say, back!

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Grill cleaning???[p]And get rid of that charred protein?[p]No no - I practice Lazy-Q.[p]Toy Man
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Tired Jim,[p]I still have my old gas grill, so I use it for cleaning the BGE grid: I put the grid on the old gasser, lay a sheet of foil over it, and let 'er go for 10 min. [The foil really heats up the bars.] Then I hit it with a brass wire brush, and sometimes I take a stick of wood with a notch cut in it and scrape along the bars to knock off the crud.[p]But I don't do this very often -- maybe once every 10 cooks or so. Usually, I just hit it with the wire brush and call it good enough.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_00491.jpg
    <p />Tired Jim, when I do clean I use this wonderful product. Spray on let sit for a max of 30 minutes and then wash off. It's Dawn Power Dissolver. And yes that is a garbage can lid I use to protect the kitcken sink.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Tired Jim,
    scrape, heat it up to cooking temps and sometimes rub it with a tinfoil ball. every once and a while i clean the inside of the dome with the tin foil ball when it starts to flake up

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    fishlessman,[p]
    Oh yeah..last weekend I had a major fire in my small egg..it was a stump huntin fiasco..I had a real hot fire..then closed the dome..and a ginat piece of that black crud fell from the dome into the fire..the small egg was spewing out black smoke like I dropped tarpaper in there or somethin..I..bein a stump..opened the lid..you know..to see what was burnin..and there was a huge piece of black crud on the grill bubblin like a poisen oak blista in the hot summa sun..then..you know ..when I got a little closer to see what it really was..it burst into flames..shrinkin a part of me in the process I could barely afford...good lord....that black dome crud is bad juju my friend..evil..evil stuff.[p]I think I'll frequently cover my balls in foil and rub them on there like you suggested. I'll have to be carefull how I do it though..I mean just suppose I'm doin that..and I move just the rite way..and my foil balls start getting in some radio signals..and a talk show starts playin out mine butt..you just gotta know that momma would have me out there every saturday mornin with my foil covered balls..twistin me this way and that while she tries to get in her favorite channel..now that right there..that would seriously cut into my cookin time for sure...I mean I can't lite my egg if'n I've got my foil covered balls way up in the dome..an my butt is mumblin god knows what...while momma sits in her rackin chair about a foot away puffin on her too dolla cigars.[p]Thanks for the tip.[p]StumpBaby[p]

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Tired Jim, when I'm finished cooking I open up all the vents and get the EGG heated way up. This burns off anything major on the bars, and it falls off with a gentle rub before the next session. I never use any chemicals or abresives, it took me long enough to season the grid without spoiling it all, and just for a clean grill???

• fishlessman,[p]You don't really get rid of those precious black dome flakes, do you?? Gosh, those crunchy little things are just full of flavor -- sometimes I bang on the Egg during the middle of a cook, just to sprinkle them evenly onto the food!

;)

• RRP
    fishlessman, I used the time honored ball of foil on my grill extender and the chrome plating came off in mass - left the copper showing - now this will get the side of the BGE camp going about the dangers of cooking on copper - funny, but I'm still alive. LOL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    RRP,
    mines all copper also, wonder how much chrome i ate.nothing wrong with chrome, right?

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Tired Jim,
    I'm on the leave it alone side. Probably cause I'm in a rush all the time. Once the lump starts I just put the grid on the fire ring and let the flames clean it while preheating the egg.

• RRP
    Paul - as usual I laughed my a** off about your radio signals - obviously you have either toyed with crystal radios or at least having a working knowledge to come up with those references. As a child I grew up with my "very own" crystal radio in my bedroom! It was attached to a 200 foot antenna that ran around the eaves of our house and then shot out to a big old mulberry tree. I could get four stations real well. Of course I had to use headphones, but on some winter nights the signal was strong enough I could place the headphones near my headboard and fall asleep to music![p]Corny sounding to you, but your post brought back a flood of wonderful memories from my childhood!

• Tired Jim,
    I have found that as soon as you take the meat off and get ready to shut the Egg down, is the best time to clean the grill. At that time it is hot and the stuff is not stuck to it. Scotch pads work great. Try it, you will see.[p]Jerry

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Jwirlwind,[p]I find it's a lot easier to get the grill cleaner to work after I've vacuumed the den and mowed the yard. Then she's far more willing to clean the grill...[p]HEEE...
  • Eggsellent
    Eggsellent Posts: 160
    Mark Backer,
    hmmmmmmmmmm - for some reason I decided to check the board today and find out what's been going on. Isn't that weird. Maybe with all this free time on my hands I'll go clean the grill (smiley thingie).

• Eggsellent,
    UH OH. ..i hear hormones talking!!!!! . .heeeee

• Eggsellent
    Eggsellent Posts: 160
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Heeee heeee - that's funny. Hey - have a BLAST at Waldorf!!! Try and pick up any good veggie recipes for me. For some reason this kiddo really likes his/her veggies.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Eggsellent,[p]DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!1!!11! [p]This is the first time in weeks she's even looked out here, and it's the one time I make a chauvenistic remark. Un-freaking believable. [p]Is that what they call radar or something?[p]Oh, I suppose I'll be hittin' the walmart on the way home for some "get out of jail $3.29" flowers.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Mark Backer,
    They all have this eco-sensing sonar thing... You just can't elude it.... LOL And the jet out of jail free card is a good one to use today - flowers will work just fine. Later! Joe

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Tired Jim, I stopped by the BGE store the other day and they have a new grill scrapper with a long handle. The metal end fits snugly around the rods that make up the grill and will remove virtually anything stuck on it with ease. I have found it to work very nicely.

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Tired Jim,[p]I just scrape and go.[p]I run with scissors, don't wash my produce, use a wood chopping block, and have finished cooking pulled pork in the morning after a fire-out and ate it.[p]But that's just how I roll.[p]Justin
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Tired Jim,[p]Each time I use my grid, I spray it with Pam before cooking anything. After the cook, I just shut things down, and the next time I go to use it, I clean the grid with warm, soapy water. Because of the Pam, it cleans up really easily. [p]If you have a spouse or significant other, she will REALLY appreciate the effort. That was one of the things I hated about grilling (the nasty grids), before I confiscated all the eggs and took over.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Tired Jim,[p]Nope, never... just scrape and go.[p]