Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning experience

Options
joes1878
joes1878 Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

New to the Egg and new to the forum. Into my first week as an Egg owner, fourth time I have used it, first in really crappy, rainy, weather. Had read that I could cook on the Egg regardless of climatic conditions, I failed to make the case for the need to have dry charcoal if one was to start a fire, and be able to control the temperature. All that being said, I made the mistake of adding new charcoal to the residue in my firebox, it has been raining for three days and needless to say the moisture had collected even with the Egg covered. The end result was a very slow developing fire and one that finally reached the level I needed it to be at about the same time as the meat was finished. While I assure you I will screw something up again, I will not make that mistake again.

Somewhere in my reading, or perhaps a remark from the fine folks who assisted me in purchasing the Egg, I heard or read that the Egg is very forgiving, even when you do dumb A** stuff the end result is still pretty decent. That was our experience. I cooked a pork tenderloin that came out wonderfully in spite of my best efforts. Moist, cooked to the degree that we wanted it, all in all a fantastic experience. Used a recipe from the cookbook section of the forum, now in my recipe book.

My thanks to all the folks who use the forum to share, it assisted me in making the decision to purchase the BGE, and has made the ownership experience all that much better. Hopefully I will be able to make some contribution that will be of benefit to others like me.

God Bless and take care.

Joe

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Joe,
    Great to have you hear and man, have I been right where you are!
    You will love what the Egg can do!
    Post up some pics!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Welcome Joe! Glad to hear that it came out tasty in the end, and that is the whole point. Glad you bought your egg and decided to jump on the forum. Lot of folks here of different experience levels and knowledge willing to help each other out. Keep posting and take some pics too.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Joe,
    Welcome to the egg family and to the forum! I've only had my egg since July, and love it more each time I cook. I find myself finishing one cook, and making plans for another. It is by far the most versatile and forgiving cooker out there, bar none. The folks on this forum are great, and lend a lot of good information. Have fun!

Paula
    Wast Texas
    Paula West Texas
  • ribmaster
    Options
    I mounted a umbrella on my table for rainy days.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.